Sign in to follow this  
bobbybaggio

Apsergers and Anxiety recommended help

I've been reading "Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety: A Guide to Successful Stress Management".

It's focus is entirely on anxiety amongst people with Aspergers and is quite eye opening. I've suffered anxiety all my life so it's good to find a resource which is helpful in explaining why we do what we do when it comes to anxiety.

Anyway just thought I'd recommend. Anyone else read it?

Hi bobbybaggio

Thanks for this - I will get it for my youngest, who is currently virtually housebound due to anxiety. Not sure if he'll read it yet but I'll read it anyway.

I feel for you as anxiety can be very difficult to deal with.

I'm reading a book called The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris. It's based on an Australian system called ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy which is a mindfulness-based programme. Basically, unlike CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) you don't try to replace bad thoughts with good ones (which can be pretty difficult), the idea is to understand and accept that you are likely to think those thoughts but to use techniques to give the thoughts less power and importance. It all just seems more logical to me than CBT. We are humans and are not likely to be 'happy' all the time!

Hi bobbybaggio

Thanks for this - I will get it for my youngest, who is currently virtually housebound due to anxiety. Not sure if he'll read it yet but I'll read it anyway.

I feel for you as anxiety can be very difficult to deal with.

I'm reading a book called The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris. It's based on an Australian system called ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy which is a mindfulness-based programme. Basically, unlike CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) you don't try to replace bad thoughts with good ones (which can be pretty difficult), the idea is to understand and accept that you are likely to think those thoughts but to use techniques to give the thoughts less power and importance. It all just seems more logical to me than CBT. We are humans and are not likely to be 'happy' all the time!

It sure is difficult. I thought everyone experienced the same until recently, that's why I bought the book. Will take a look at this book you recommend as I could never picture myself without the anxious thoughts but would like more control over their effects.

It does focus on CBT coping mechanisms but the information about why we feel the anxiety is very good. I wouldn't say it's suitable for younger people but it would make excellent reading for yourself.