cookaburra

Hello!

Hello All,

First of all, thank you for this forum - I've read a few of your posts and I already feel a weight has lifted.

Aged 28, I've recently started to realise that I may have AS. I've always felt out of step socially and I've worked hard to exhibit normal behaviour in social situations.

I think what has really clinched it for me is that I have recently donated eggs to my sister and throughout the process I have realised just how detached and analytical I am about something that is so emotionally charged for everyone else. I feel like instead of feeling the emotion too, I've been pretending I'm feeling it and just saying the right things.

I scored 36 on the AQ test (incidentally, my partner scored 4) and when I looked into AS, a lot of the signs rang true. I am really interested to hear from any of you about your experiences and any coping strategies you have, especially when it comes to empathising without feeling like a total fraud.

Thought I'd say hello, although I'm new here myself. I've introduced myself a bit further down, after discovering in my early 40s that Asperger's fits the bill.

Reading the posts, I keep finding more little clues, and pieces I can identify with, and it's interesting to read your experiences about empathy. I remember about 20 years ago seeing a counsellor at university and mentioning that I found it really hard to be with people who were feeling upset or annoyed as I couldn't think of anything to say to them. I had noticed one of my friends was very good at empathising, and it kept her in demand. I wanted to be in demand too!

A few years on and I think I'm a bit better at it, probably having watched this friend, more than anything. I still don't get it right a lot of the time, but one important lesson I learnt is to listen, and sometimes say nothing, letting the other person feel their feelings, without drawing conclusions for them. As I say, I'm still not that good at it, and still not very in demand!

But I hope you find support here.