Sign in to follow this  
Mandrak� The Magician

Need help finding a book.

Hi, I'm looking for a good general overview of aspergers syndrome for myself and my family. I'm 23, and while I haven't sought a diagnosis, I feel as certain as I can be after a fair bit of reading on the internet that I am an aspergers sufferer.

I have had a good look around on amazon and elsewhere for a book which would tell me more about the condition and also help my family to understand, but the majority of books on the subject seem to be focused on parents raising children with aspergers.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book which looks at the condition and related issues as they affect adults?

Thanks for your help.

try

www.autism.org/pubs

or

www.jkp.com

The Tony Attwood book "Aspergers syndrome: a guide for parents and professionals" is excellent.

For a briefer version, try Tony Attwood's "Why does Chris do that?"

Karen

I have been looking for a good easy to understand book on AS, preferably written by someone who suffers from AS. A lot of books I have encountered are very technical and appear to be written by psychologists for psychologists as opposed to being targetted at ordinary people.

I have recently, this week, finished reading "Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships" by Ashley Stanford. This may not be most appropriate to you due to the focus on couples but it does provide a break down of particular components of the AS diagnosis and what they mean. Due to the fact that it is written by the wife of an Asperger husband it is based mainly on what she has seen from the outside looking in, so to speak. I would definately recommend it, if for no other reason than it provides an interesting, first hand, outside view which can hardly be described as spectator due to the emotional relationship involvement.

I love films and watch them over and over again. I'm gonna sign of with a little quiz question. Which film is this line from "Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word." - This is one for the whole family.

AZ.

"Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word."

The line appears in Jurassic park when a little box pops up on the computer when they are trying to reboot the whole system, not sure if it appears anywhere else.

Simon

To add to Nellie's suggestions perhaps

'Congratulations! It's Asperger Syndrome' by Jen Birch, published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers.

http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/book.php/isbn/1-84310-112-2

It gives a personal view of getting a diagnosis as an adult with some of the advantages and disadvantages she has experienced as a result of being on the spectrum.

Regards

Nautim