LisaKaz75

Statement for a 3 year old

Leo is 3 (diagnosed on autistic spectrum) and gets his 15 hours funding for preschool from January. We have found out today, that he has been awarded 15 hours a week, individual pupil funding :thumbs:

This means that he will have a dedicated key worker all the time he is at preschool.

However, we made such a strong case for him to have this that they want to look at carrying out a statement. Should I be worried about this?? or will this help him in the long term

LisaKaz

I think thats very good news for you. If they were only offering the support now and nothing else in 6mths time they can withdraw funding and you have to start all over again. A statement is a legal document so they have to give your son whatever support is on the statement.

The statment will be reviewed annually anyway so if he needs less support or more support it can be amended.Either way it will be excellent for him to start school alreading having support in place. I had to fight for a year to get Sam's statement and it was during year 2 when they were doing SATS and everything, he missed out on so much education. So to avoid this I think you are in a very good position :)

yep he is lucky to be spotted noticed and diagnosis so early on in his life and development alot people go through alot fights/battles to reach that point aswell as lost confusion heartache and pain for child/adult and family ....!!! we have boy at our nursery he 3 years old and is autistic such clever bright cute little boy! his speech is coming on so much since we have special circle time at nursery for social comms skills to develop with other 'norm' kids too!!! so nice to see him open up his world to others such happy friendly little boy! and now like your little boy has hope of successful bright future with 'right' individual help and support in education system a long the way like so many adults would have loved to have opportunities understanding knowledge but pleased that our experiences has helped others become more seen clearly!

so good luck to you and your son!

XKLX

I agree with Justine,

Support can always be reduced if necessary - much more difficult to get it increased, especially if this involves extra funding.

A statement has built in safeguards - a full statutory assessment of his needs, the right to an annual review and the right of appeal to an independent tribunal if the local authority amend it. Local systems of individual funding do not have this.

K x

I think I read somewhere that for younger children they are supposed to have more frequent reviews?

Get yourself a copy of the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice and have a read through that. Laws have changed recently so that at an Annual Review you can now appeal if the LEA refuses to amend.

Hi,

I'm a key worker for children with SEN, I love it and can see the benfits to the child.

To get considered for a statement at this age is unusual, it usualy happens when the gap widens and the child is about 5 - 6 yrs old. 15 hours before a statement is very good. It just means that your child can access learning better with the help of an adult key worker and wonte be held back by environmental factors that your child finds it hard to cope with.

Best of luck for the future.

Hi, I think assessment for a statement is a good thing at this early age, his needs should be identified, support given and this may help him long term. As others are pointed out help can be reduced if necessary it is much harder to fight for it later! A supportive network of professionals around your child and family will help no end.

My eldest son was assessed for a statement this process started a couple of months before his 4th birthday and it was in place for him starting full time reception. He has needed the support and help, and is still statemented now, in Y7. It has helped enormously

Have a very happy christmas X