Sign in to follow this  
smiley1590

will going on wii everyday help dyspraxia?

do you think using wii everyday will improve dyspraxic difficulties i.e hand eye co ordination help improve on skills? what are people opinions on this idea?

XKLX

yes - any exercise is good for dyspraxia. It will take a lot of time & effort to get to the same ability leel as a non-dyspraxic person, but you can do that, and surpass it too if you put the effort in. Lke anything, the more you practise the skils, the better you get at using them, and your co-ordination will improve if you practise:)

Totally agree there, a friend of mine is severely dyspraxic but has found driving a geared car

has helped with his dyspraxia. using a trampoline helps me with the 'proprioceptive' issues

surrounding my dyspraxic tendencies.

Yes, especially if you use a balance board and do a wide range of exercises.

cb

Could someone explain the difference between lack of co-ordination and dyspraxia? I often break things, crash into them, can be heavy handed and have bad co-ordination (can't swim, can't ride a bike and not good at ball sports) but am not sure if this is just AS lack of co-ordination or actual dyspraxia. Someone at work asked if I was dyspraxic but I don't know if he was teasing or not.

All the best.

yes you can see a gap in lack of co-ordination and dyspraxia the condition itself as dyspraxia it is more than co-ordination that affected alot more long list like A.S but alot time mix into eachother blend so is hard get confused and lost in which is which .... they sort of merge between A.S and dyspraxia and very similiar in alot of traits/symptoms sounds lkike high possiblity your work colleague could be spot on! as what you posted sounds like got few signs i type dyspraxia in adults in google search and go from there look at signs more closely! hope that informaion helps you out!

XKLX

Thanks, Smiley, I'll do that.

My sister got a second-hand Wii for Christmas, and we had an awesome time. I was wholly useless initially, but started to get the hang of it and can occasionally hit the balls (she has the sports game), though my Wii age of 76 suggests I may need a little more practise! :rolleyes::lol:

I think anything that makes you practice hand-eye coordination has to be helpful, so long as you don't get too frustrated with it. Just make sure you use the strap thing on the remote if, like me, you have a tendency to let go of the controller and send it flying round the room! :oops:

do you think using wii everyday will improve dyspraxic difficulties i.e hand eye co ordination help improve on skills? what are people opinions on this idea?

XKLX

Interesting idea - might well work

Interesting idea - might well work

Since my son developed problems for increased anxiety, he has ceased to use any game computer system, they set him off so have been removed from use. We now use an ipod with quiet music on and that seems to help immensely, but games are now out. We were told it was thought he was developing an fear of animated characters or colours !!! I've never heard of this before...

This isn't going to go down well with most parents I am sure, but gaming in general is very good for fine motor control and improved reaction time. With the invention of motion controllers and microsofts new kinnect system, a combination of fine motor control and genral excercise is now here. In my view it is excellent therapy for dyspraxia.