Sign in to follow this  
bobbybaggio

People taking advantage

Arggh so angry.

A close friend asked me to open a mobile phone contract because they couldn't get credit themselves. We'd been close for 4 years so I didn't see anything wrong with it. She offered to give the phone back but I said she could keep it as long as the bills were paid as I still trusted her. A few weeks later a close friend fell out with me because of things she'd said about me and her partner tried getting others to make fun of me on facebook. This is the worst thing they could have done to me and I felt I couldn't trust them. I asked for the phone to be returned but they said they'd smashed it up. Now they're refusing to pay for it. I'm left with a contract for £35 a month that I cannot afford :(

I feel like such a mug. My confidence is rock bottom and it shows with my other friends which I share with them. I feel like I'm driving them away. It's a vicious circle :(

Thinking back is it normal for a friend to ask another to open a contract for them or have I been taken up the garden path? Why do people do things like this? It makes no sense!!!!!!!

What a horrible thing to happen.

From the practical point of view I think you need to get that contract cancelled as soon as you can. Maybe you were a bit naive taking on this responsibility for a person who couldn't get credit: there's usually a good reason for that! A Pay as you Go phone would have been a better idea maybe?

Yes, we do get taken in by people sometimes: all of us want people to like us and be our friends, but we easily get hurt as a result, especially as we may not be very good at 'reading' people in order to make wise decisions about who to trust.

What's the alternative though? - to be completely hard-boiled, and assume everybody is out to do us down? Naive people do get hurt sometimes, but cynics usually experience the world as a pretty scary and miserable place, which to me is much worse! Why do people act like this person? Well, the 'normal' world seems to think that we are 'odd', but my experience is that the 'normal' world can be pretty nutty at times, and sadly there are some nasty, two-faced people out there. Their lives are miserable, so they try to make others miserable as well.

I'm very sorry that this has happened to you, and hope you feel better soon.

These people sound awful! There are certain people out there who will take advantage of anyone they can, i'm afraid.

I personally would never ask anyone to take out a phone contract for me. It isn't something that anyone really 'needs' and if i couldn't get one myself i'd get a pay-as-you-go phone. People like this make me angry too.

Try not to push you're other friends away though. Do they know about what has happened?

There are a lot of good people out there too so i'm sure you have good friends who value your friendship.

I agree with trying to get the contract cancelled. Im wondering if they have 'obtained money via deception' ?

As for being taken for a ride 16 years post diagnosis i still get taken advantage of. i also dont know the

grey area which is between trusting no one and trusting everyone.

Im wondering if they have 'obtained money via deception' ?

But no one has been decieved except the phone company, and bobbybaggio was the one who did that when he took out a contract in his own name. The best approach is probably to tell the phone company you can no longer afford the contract and ask if there is any way you can get out of it early.

If the contract is in your name, and the deal was that if they couldn't pay they would return the phone to you, could that count as some kind of theft? Because they're smashed up your property in a way? I'm not sure whether that would hold up with you having given the phone to them, but it might be worth finding out if there's anything you can do?

I'd also think that any mutual friends would take your side in this matter. No one would offer to PAY someone else's phonebill, and smashing up the phone is just spiteful (makes me wonder whether they have smashed it up, though, or whether they are planning on continuing to use it with you picking up the bill?).

If the contract is in your name, and the deal was that if they couldn't pay they would return the phone to you, could that count as some kind of theft? Because they're smashed up your property in a way? I'm not sure whether that would hold up with you having given the phone to them, but it might be worth finding out if there's anything you can do?

I'd also think that any mutual friends would take your side in this matter. No one would offer to PAY someone else's phonebill, and smashing up the phone is just spiteful (makes me wonder whether they have smashed it up, though, or whether they are planning on continuing to use it with you picking up the bill?).

Legally unless you had your friend signed something to say that they should pay the contract,then there is nothing you can do,your word against theirs. I agree that its unlikely the smashed up the phone, they probably want you to think that while they carry on using it.So the best way forward is to end the contract even if you have to pay a small fee,at least it means your "friend" cannot use it anymore.

My brother would'nt even get me a phone on contract,and he is blood, its not worth trusting people when it comes to money.

Thanks for the responses.

They can't use the phone because I've had it blacklisted and the networks don't care who's been taken advant

I am declaring bankruptcy next month but wont put the phone on it because I work for the mobile network. I have an excellent reputation there and don't want to go through the embarrassment of people finding out. The guy who handles bankruptcies sits across from me so it would get about. I think this person is trying to force me to place it on the bankruptcy. She did ask me to do it whilst still friends but I explained why I wouldn't do it. She wasn't too happy about it.

I'm going to explore small claims court option.

I've calmed down now and will just need to deal with it.

Thanks

I regret to admit I've been taken for a ride before. Met a girl online and after meeting a few times she was quickly asking to borrow money (think it was £100) promising to pay it back when she got her wages or something. As you can imagine she did not pay it back. I actually managed to get her to pay half back eventually by finding her name and address on the electoral roll, think that scared her a bit. I suspect she spends her time meeting guys on the net hoping they're as gullible as I was.

Consider it a learning experience. Can't get credit? Not my problem! Need some money and it's the end of the world if you can't get it? Not my problem!