EdRo

Railways

I understand that the vast majority of us Aspies are railway enthusiasts (one in four, I assume. So if any of you are railway enthusiasts, this thread is your opportunity to talk about such a topic. To get the ball rolling, I can tell you that I'm heavily involved in railways in many ways e.g. I'm the chairman and founder of the Asperger Rail Club.

Edited by EdRo

IME I've met more Aspies who have a special interest in roads. Evidently Swampy was no Aspie...

I'm probably not the best person to get started on transport as i have a general interest in transport planning and especially railways and can talk for hours. As well as nationwide railway and transport strategies I know a bit about the "boring" stuff like the names of every Class 50 in order and all the different diesels and why D6337 was the best class 22!

As well as that ive downloaded and studied documents such as the 1963 "Reshaping British Railways" drawn up by Dr. Beeching....

So yeah i quite enjoy the subject lol!

Edited by grasco

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388440_10150560921107049_568697048_10682746_63314612_n.jpg

This is my 2 year old on Christmas Day - he's totally obsessed with trains. He can tell steam trains from diesel trains (his preference is for diesels apparently, much to the dismay of my steam train obsessed father-in-law). We already have 3 different train sets!

I was a bit of a train fan when I was very young. Having grown up in the diesel age, diesel locomotives were my thing. Living in a house overlooking the GWR London to Bristol line, I did my trainspotting exclusively from my bedroom! The most common locomotives I saw were the Brush 4 (Class 47) and Brush 2 (Class 31), and to a lesser extent the Hymek (Class 35), Crompton (Class 33), Western (Class 52), and English Electric 3 (Class 37). My favourite was the Deltic (Class 55) but they didn't operate near me and I only ever saw one once, at King's Cross.

My highlights were seeing a rare Metro-Cammell Blue Pullman, and the even rarer (unique) APT-E (prototype Advanced Passenger Train).

My train interest stopped when I was about 8 or 9, and I've been a motorbike nut since I was 17.

I'm probably not the best person to get started on transport as i have a general interest in transport planning and especially railways and can talk for hours. As well as nationwide railway and transport strategies I know a bit about the "boring" stuff like the names of every Class 50 in order and all the different diesels and why D6337 was the best class 22!

As well as that ive downloaded and studied documents such as the 1963 "Reshaping British Railways" drawn up by Dr. Beeching....

So yeah i quite enjoy the subject lol!

and without googling I challenge you to number the only class 37 not to make it into the TOPS numbering scheme! ;)

Oh dear. Train enthusiasts.

Was one once, but went off the idea once I had had to travel on them. One hour to do 30 miles in a train that was 30 minutes late at least once a week. Once I had a car I averaged one delay a year, in fact in the last 3 years I have not been delayed more than 10 minutes. Seriously reliable car travel is in comparison to trains.

As for steam trains, don't even get me started. Something like 5% of the energy in the coal makes it through to the wheels. The best diesel engines are 10 times as efficient.

Was one once, but went off the idea once I had had to travel on them. One hour to do 30 miles in a train that was 30 minutes late at least once a week. Once I had a car I averaged one delay a year, in fact in the last 3 years I have not been delayed more than 10 minutes. Seriously reliable car travel is in comparison to trains.

Yeah but car spotting would be very boring on some roads and hectic if watching a motorway :george: and the lists would be HUGE :jester: