Sign in to follow this  
elaine1

wow what a storm

we were basking in 31 degree heatwave, when we heard a rumble of thunder, then torrential rainstorms hit us, and now there a re marble sized hailstones bouncing off the windows.

I swear the weather has gone mad, :o

It is absolutely scorching here (Hampshire) Im dreading bedtime, I had to come downstairs last night and sleep on the sofa. Yet on Wednesday it was freezing!!

The weather has definately gone mad.

Loraine (very hot and bothered)

Living near the coast we always have violent storms following a few hot days, you can't beat it to clear the air, ready for the next sunny day.

Lorry you need an electric fan, wonderful invention if you can sleep thriugh the noise :wacko:

I cant have my bedroom windows open as I tend to become a banquette for every blood sucking insect to dare set foot on earth (i swear they are aliens) and unfortunately I swell up like a ballon when bitten, I look like the elephant man. I think I may suffer alergic reactions.

Viper.

Aye was belting down in Durham, but my father in law promised a BBQ so my son shouted 'Grandad I'm starving get cooking' so he sat under a brolly in the storm B)

Still rumbling on in not so Sunny Sunderland - But I think the worst has passed we had ice balls at one point!!!! But I have to admit I love a good storm :o

Craole

The temp here in cheshire went from 84 to 64 in an hour really bad rain and thunder!!!!.But at least it,s watered the garden and my washing :rolleyes: .

Its been scorching here on the east coast all day up untill about half past six then it became dull and a sudden temperature drop.waiting on the storm now i presume.according to the teletext its been the hottest day of the year in someplaces reaching upto 94 but becoming cooler from tomorrow. lynn

still hot in oxford at the mom my themomoter reads 79 and that is with all windows open and the fan on :crying: why can't we have a storm

I love this heat - but then I was born in the tropics and I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to cold: I wanted to put the heating back on in the middle of last week.

K

We were out in the fields walking the dog when the storm broke - we ran home because I'd left the washing out. Only to find I'd locked us out -left kids and dog getting drenched whilst borrowed ladder from neighbour then had to get eldest son to climb up to bedroom window crawl through and let us in! Quite an adventure. Eldest son loved it all youngest son and dog not too impressed. I'm was just thankful had left window open! Washing soaked by time I got to it and guess what washing machine broke down this morning - had had to use dads washer (happy fathers day!) earlier in the day and so couldn't re-spin it once I rescued it - had to put heating on to get it dry (was like Bahamas here) especially sons uniform for tomorrow - then realised it's no uniform day tomorrow for charity and I needen't have bothered after all. Also realised had to get bottle of wine to donate to school raffle ( as payment for non uniform day) so got 2!! Hence the rambling - can laugh about it now....Witsend.

Look at these hailstones that we got down here in Yeovil, Somerset about 6 weeks ago ...

Hailstones.jpg

The golf ball is there to give you a sense of scale. Mum picked them up from the garden shortly after the storm and put them in the freezer for safe-keeping.

This happened in the midst of a very nasty thunderstorm - American-style! The hailstones were very localised indeed, so they must have been very concentrated. They put holes through conservatory roofs nearby, and were almost deafening to hear hitting the windows. This was around midnight that night, so needless to say Mum wasn't getting any sleep! :lol:

After things calmed down again, all we could hear were car alarms going off, along with sirens from emergency vehicles. And there was a strange smell of plant life in the air, after the battering they had endured for a good 5 or 10 minutes.

I've never seen or heard anything like that - certainly not in this country anyway - it was astonishing. Definitely got the heart racing! :hypno: And it was totally not forecast either! It barely made even local news, never mind national news! :shame:

Anyway, no storms here yet this time around ... :unsure:

James

Halleys -you are in Brizzie.

I remember the most spectacular weather. I was there in the early 70's when there was an absolutely catastrphic floood.

Do you know Mount Tambourine - I used to play golf there.

Do you know Bribie Island and Dayboro - I used to have some plots there

I lived at Kingston - It was awful but I had a plot on the other side of the highway - brick covenant and underground leccie but I couldn't afford to build a house. Surfers was no more than three stories high!

I left Oz in 1976.

helen

PS I could murder a Moreton Bay Crab

Hailey,

I didn't realise that this was an old thread back in the summer, I was sitting here thinking, blimey it hasn't

been warm where I am today, infact I'm feeling cold and have the heating on.

Then I saw the date of the post. :lol::lol::lol::wacko::wacko:

Brook

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Brook and Helen,

:lol::lol: Just being a stirrer as usual >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> saw this and couldn't help myself.....

Helen I am from Sydney, but I love all those places in Brisbane, it is a lovely city..... we have friends that live up there we visit every year and family......

The drive along the back road from Queensland to Sydney along New England Highway is one of my most favourite drives going through all the little towns along the way.

I here so much about Toowoomba and want to go and visit there one day......

We are currently in for gale force winds and I am sitting here in summer clothes with a sloppy joe on. Yesterday here was 31, I love those days just sitting out in the sun. This time of year is my favourite for the outdoors, as long as the sun is shining. :D

Must be about 19-20 this morning because of the frosty breeze and this storm approaching. I get all nervous as we had a few mini cyclones whip up out of nowhere here over the years and two or streets in our suburb about 50 huge gums came down and we were in the middle of it trying to get home, having to detour all the time because of the trees down on the road. I guess its that time of year again. As long as it isn't raining, the trees stay standing :pray::pray::pray::pray: usually.

How are you both, you are up very late, its almost 10am here.

Love

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

Hailey,

Stay safe in those Gales. ;)

Night night. I'm off to snuggle up. :) I'm blooming freezing, so much for Spring eh! :huh:

Brook :)

Guest hallyscomet

Brook

Wont be long summer is on the way and we will have a reversal, you will be saying how loving and warm it is and I will be complaining about the cold :lol::lol::lol::lol:

H. Good night over there

Of course Hailey, you are in Sydney - we have had the conversation before - me - used to live in Killeaton St, S'nives. Sorry I was having a senior moment

HelenL

Hailey,

I didn't realise that this was an old thread back in the summer, I was sitting here thinking, blimey it hasn't

been warm where I am today, infact I'm feeling cold and have the heating on.

Then I saw the date of the post. :lol::lol::lol::wacko::wacko:

Brook

Ditto! :lol::lol::lol:

Guest hallyscomet
Halleys -you are in Brizzie.

I remember the most spectacular weather. I was there in the early 70's when there was an absolutely catastrphic floood.

Do you know Mount Tambourine - I used to play golf there.

Do you know Bribie Island and Dayboro - I used to have some plots there

I lived at Kingston - It was awful but I had a plot on the other side of the highway - brick covenant and underground leccie but I couldn't afford to build a house. Surfers was no more than three stories high!

I left Oz in 1976.

helen

PS I could murder a Moreton Bay Crab

Helen,

Kingston that where Sir Joh Belkje Peterson lived The State MP for Queensland. Or was the Kingaroy :lol::lol:

Did you ever climb any of those mountains. The Glass House Mountains are beautiful too near the Queensland / New South Wales border.

I could just visualise retiring there, on a farm with some horses. :) and become a mad artist :lol::lol::lol:

One day.

H.

Guest hallyscomet
Of course Hailey, you are in Sydney - we have had the conversation before - me - used to live in Killeaton St, S'nives. Sorry I was having a senior moment

HelenL

Thats right, yes I am only 20mins drive from St Ives (snives :devil: ) lots of friends around there and Pymble. Do you remember Duffys Forest, thats my favourite place in the whole world all the acreage and horses. That between where I live and St Ives.

Do you miss Sydney? its okay to be honest :lol::lol:

H.

I miss the absolute beauty!

I also lived at Windsor and the view from my patio was - fields leading down towards the Hawkesbury River and in the distance, the Great Dividing Range. I didn't live too far from Katoomba really. I used to drive into North Sydney every day for work and I was in awe every single day of not only the view from my patio, but also coming down that hill towards the Bridge and looking over into Sydney proper.

Where we used to live in Snives, was on the edge of the Kurringai Chase, but when my mum and dad went back for a visit, they reckoned that they had built a freeway right the way through the Chase. I used to love looking down the Chase towards Pittwater - oh and Pittwater - how beautiful is that! My mum and dad's house had a garden room that extended out from the side of the house - western red cedar and flyscreening and it was lovely to sit out at twilight after the barbie. I miss giving the Cookies a sausage and watching them beat it to death on the branch and looking amazed that their 'deadly snake' had disintegrated. I used to wet myself laughing. I don't miss the possums running up and down the flat roof. I miss the wombats. I don't mis the Blue Tongues or Frill Necks or the Funnel Web Spiders. I miss the Drive Ins. I miss going to the butcher on a Friday on the way home from work to pick up my meat for the week - chops, snags, steaks - all for about $15 and chopped up on a real tree trunk chopping block - and the gorgeous fruit and veggies. I don't miss my ex - husband and that gives a clue to why I now live in the UK! oh and I also miss Frangipani - I had it in my wedding bouquet. I got married in Pymble in 1972 and came back to England in 1976. I don't miss chockos (think that is how you spell it) most useless and tasteless veg ever to grace a saucepan. My mother in law served it up all the time. She had a vine in the back garden!

I had a plot of land just below the GlassHouse mountains in a place called Dayboro. No leccie or running water. it cost me about $500. Bet it is worth an absolute fortune now!.

Nostalgia over with. My cousin in law lives in Adelaide and is a tram enthusiast (couldn't possibly be on the spectrum!!! :lol: ) and is always trying to encourage us to go and live in Oz. I have been very tempted, but it is a land for hardworking people and I am too worn out to graft anymore. Think it is struggling with the system here that has made me feel this way.

Love

HelenL -(known as Bruce to me mates)

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Helen,

Yes I am 5 minutes drive from Manly, Do you remember Beacon Hill top of the hill from Dee Why Beach I live on that ridge if I had another storey I would have Oxford Falls View and Narrabeen Lakes, if I had two storeys I would have ocean views from Long Reef to Dee Why.

From Beacon Hill there is that look out you can see all they way to Palm Beach all the beaches north and look to the south and there is Manly a stone throw away in front of you.

I remember those changes to Killeaton St and Stanley St at St Ives, because of the population growth, its not a freeway its a three lane dual road to ease traffic but goes back to one lane when it gets to Killara, still a goat track through there.

I remember the drive ins too, they have all gone now all commercial premises there at Frenchs Forest and Ryde.

Windsor is really pretty we used to stay near the Richmond RAAF airport at a resort there and travel the blue mountains. Mount Tomar Botanical Gardens looking from the otherside of the Blue Mountains over to Wentworth Falls over the Grose Valley is georgeous. The colours always get me, so rich reds golds with the blue haze from the Eucalypt trees.

Kookaburras are very cheeky, they have been know to swoop and steal a whole piece of meat off the BBQ :lol: or your plate.

Dee Why beach has really changed its line with Cosmopolitan Restaurants and cafe bars all enjoying the lovely view of the surf up to Long Reef, they have also created a walk for people to enjoy Long Reef Headland, the views are amazing a mass of headlands up to Barrenjoey then beyond all the way to the Central Coast. Feel like your on top of the world.

Wehave had snow on the alps this morning so looks like we are in for an early winter that means a bumper snow season :thumbs:

We will be having a weather reversal, you will be having the warm summer and we will be enjoying the cool weather. A great time for bush walking. :thumbs::thumbs:

Frangipanis are beautiful, I have planted two pink ones in my garden, still waiting for them to get big enough to flower. My daughter wants me to paint one for her bedroom. When I get time, I love to paint.

Oopshave to get off here, need to drive my daughter to school.

All the best.

H. >:D<<'>