Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Housing support and care needs

Just wanted to pick your brains to see if this sounds right. :unsure:

I'm right at the beginning of the process of looking at/for appropriate housing for me once I leave uni in September. However much I find it hard to accept, I am going to need some type of ongoing care or at least access to support 24/7.

There's various people working with me on this and social services have just become involved. The response we've had from SS is that it would be best to go down the physical care/health needs route with me rather than the ASD route because 1. my physical/health needs are more severe (I'm not sure how you compare them to ASD but anyway...) and 2. HFA doesn't really 'fit' into their areas as I don't have a learning disability.

Now my initial reaction was that provided I get appropriate housing/support I'm not really bothered which criteria they use and on a day-to-day basis it is my physical health needs that cause the most difficulties / are most concerning. However, I'm concerned about the possible implications of allowing the ASD to be ostensibly ignored. My problem is that everything interacts, so the ASD makes some elements of managing my health harder for instance. It also feels important to me that it is not ignored in case there's an issue in future that's much more within ASD specifically that I need support for.

Should I just let things continue for now (at least things are happening) or push from the beginning for everything including the ASD to be considered which might cause more problems if different departments feel I don't 'belong' to them (with just physical health, I clearly do belong to a particular department - I don't want to 'unbelong' by throwing in the ASD). :unsure:

I originally got my home care based on living with a struggling carer.

That was back in 2005. I ended up moving into my flat about 4 years ago.

http://www.advancehousing.org.uk/index.asp?m=319&t=Shared+Ownership+Update

This scheme is based on claiming severe disability benefits and runs in

various parts of the UK. My housing scheme is aimed at learning disabled

(social services cannot refuse help based on IQ since the autism act

was updated on 17th December 2010) but my support service is for mental health

survivors. In a way it works out ok as I have many mental health problems

which have in part been caused by the physical health problems.

The Resource Allocation Tool (RAS) will be what Social Services should use to assess you for personalisation.

Ive got my 2nd meeting with my social worker next week.

My physical health needs which (up until recently) weren't properly being dealt with.

Hopefully the RAS will help with this. It gives me a high support need with nutrition

for example because im unable to remember to eat or cook effectively if i do remember.

Good luck

Short answer is there are no services for people with ASD. Once you get 'in' there has to be an assessment of all needs and services have to be person-centred so you get a chance to build in ASD-type support at that point. I would recommend you just go with it.

Thanks both for your responses. I think Jaded, you're absolutely right about going with it as at least that way I'm 'in the system'. I think the next step is some type of assessment, though I should be used to these by now.

Does anyone know what happens if you move to a different authority. SS where I currently live are the ones who have been involved as this makes most sense, but I may move to a different authority depending on where I end up working (if I can/can get a job :unsure:) when I leave uni - although I still want to be in London, if I had a choice I wouldn't remain living where I currently am.

are you and social services looking into supported living, thats one area that can help you to become independent. i know this place is right for me,, look at me now i can do cooking without being scared but still needing the support with finance and other areas.

are you and social services looking into supported living, thats one area that can help you to become independent.

That's one option, however as this is far more about medical needs that ASD, we're not looking at options towards independence. I know how to cook, clean etc and would love to be fully independent (and stubbornly try!!) however my medical needs mean that some tasks are impossible/dangerous without support and I need someone available to give help in an emergency situation. There's some great warden assisted places for older people which I would love, but they don't seem to exist for younger would like to be independent but need someone on hand people like me.

That's one option, however as this is far more about medical needs that ASD, we're not looking at options towards independence. I know how to cook, clean etc and would love to be fully independent (and stubbornly try!!) however my medical needs mean that some tasks are impossible/dangerous without support and I need someone available to give help in an emergency situation. There's some great warden assisted places for older people which I would love, but they don't seem to exist for younger would like to be independent but need someone on hand people like me.

Hi Mumble

My father lives in a place like you mention in your last sentence,he is acually 6 years younger than the qualifying age group but due to his medical conditions he was accepted. I would speak to the GP as they also often know of places,you will still need to contact SS but at least by having an idea/example of what you want they may be more able to help. >:D<<'>

I have a friend who lives on her but she gets help with lots of things, what about carers?

this house has never had anyone with asd, they have only taken on people with LD

My father lives in a place like you mention in your last sentence,he is actually 6 years younger than the qualifying age group but due to his medical conditions he was accepted.

Unfortunately at 30 years or so too young I'm not sure they'd make that much of an exception! :rolleyes: In seriousness though, even if they did, I wouldn't be happy as (nothing against older people) I don't think it would do anything for my sense of self-esteem only to be surrounded by older people particularly those with support needs.

Ideally I'd love just to live 'normally' in the community if my needs could be adequately met but that's such a big if I do need to look realistically at other options.

I have a friend who lives on her but she gets help with lots of things, what about carers?

If they were totally reliable that may work, but again, realistically, that may not be the case. I really need someone who can be 'on call' 24 hours a day.

Unfortunately at 30 years or so too young I'm not sure they'd make that much of an exception! :rolleyes: In seriousness though, even if they did, I wouldn't be happy as (nothing against older people) I don't think it would do anything for my sense of self-esteem only to be surrounded by older people particularly those with support needs.

Ideally I'd love just to live 'normally' in the community if my needs could be adequately met but that's such a big if I do need to look realistically at other options.

If they were totally reliable that may work, but again, realistically, that may not be the case. I really need someone who can be 'on call' 24 hours a day.

You welcome to come live with me,I will help you >:D<<'> Thats if you dont mind four boys runnning riot 24/7 :lol: