JeanneA

Glen home for weekend

Hi guys, after nearly 7 weeks Glen is home for the weekend. He has been very relaxed and fairly happy. It was a very long journey home with him yesterday, due to an accident on route. It took 8 hours to get home (should have been about 5.1/2 - 6 hurs) :( Glen coped very well though in the ambulance transport, much more suited transport than last time (security van + security guards). Glen has improved since being away for this assessment, he isn't quite as slow as he was previously and he's much less anxious and more happier in himself so it's all looking positive so far, hope it stays that way. Glen has another 6 weeks before the assessment ends.

That's great news that Glen is so much more settled, Jeanne. Did they give you any advice of things you should do with him this weekend or will you just play it be ear? Hope it goes smoothly and your weekend is relaxing for you all.

~ Mel ~

Thanks for all your replies, yes I was given advice of what to do in anxious situations. They use a picture schedule 'First & Next', just the 2 pictures of what Glen is doing now and what the next thing will be, also he may be given a choice hence they would show 2 pictures for 'Next' and Glen would point to one of them.

Glen has been very relaxed, albeit he has looked a little anxious at times which is to be expected, but the ball blanket that they let me bring home with me is a god-send. A ball blanket is a special blanket filled with lots of balls, it is used as a sensory tool, if a child (particularly with autism) gets anxious/aggressive then they are allowed to lay down under the blanket for a period of time. This will then calm them it is fantastic, but very expensive, we ordered one using Glen's DLA money (they cost about £500 for a single blanket, and they come from Denmark, our's is coming sometime this week. The delivery is 3-4 weeks. I would recommend this item to anyone who have a child with ASD in particular.

Hi Lisa, yes it is I am very pleased with progress so far and it will be interesting to see how the remainder of the weeks go.

Hi am really pleased you have had such a postive weekend.

I found some info about a uk stockist of the ball blanket you mentioned (sounds V interesting!) but rather than hijack this I have posted in resources section.

Hope the rest of the stay goes well and he continues with the good progress X

I'm glad it has all been so positive.

And that they have shown you how to use the same supports as they have.

Have they altered his medication at all?

Hi yes the weekend well very well. I went back in the transport with Glen yesterday (8.30am) arrived at Prudhoe about 1.45pm. Glen was very good during the journey although he did look a little anxious. Glen did hit his head a couple of times with force before I left which I guess is understandable. He only hit himself about 4 times over the whole of the weekend which is very good. He rarely hits out at anyone now either.

They have reduced Glen's meds and are going to reduce them again this week. It will be interesting to see if there are any changes in Glen as the meds are getting more reduced, i.e. if he will become more anxious. They have to try reducing meds though to see if Glen can cope without having so much medication and also if perhaps a different medication would be better for him. They are reducing his sleeping meds down from today, so the melatonin will be reduced and the phenergan. He's been on 25mg phenergan which will probably be reduced by half.