JeanneA

ball blankets

They are expensive but I thoroughly recommend if you can to order a ball blanket online for your ASD/ADHD child. It is a single blanket, with loads and loads of balls inside it. It is a brilliant sensory device, it calms down ASD?ADHD kids if they become very anxious/agitated. They lay down on a sofa or bed put the blanket over them for a period of time then afterwards they get up you will find they will be feeling much calmer and will be able to do what is asked of them. I have ordered one for Glen using his DLA money and Family Fund money. They coast about £500 for a single blanket. The blanket is coming from Denmark and delivery is 3-4 weeks, but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.

Hi Jeanne, what company did you order the ball blanket from and do you know if they can be destroyed i.e bitten through, balls destroyed ? x

hi

i have a weighted blanket from america (i am in the uk) and it was the best thing i ever bought and cost just over £100, the company make them to order and have hundreds of fabrics you can choose from. i am now awaiting a new one from the same company and the only reason i am doing so is because i want one hevyer and full single bed size and this is costing just over £300. so i would say they can be great for ASD adults as well but it depends on sensory needs as some may hate it. I also have a weighted sports jacket which is good.

We were very lucky as we got one through the disability team OT and it did not cost us anything - we were also lucky that we got one of the really heavy ones (some are only weighted to a few lbs) whereas the one we got I can hardly lift but it made a huge difference (maybe 30lbs)

http://www.kingkraft.co.uk/shop/product/protac_ball_blanket/ Have a look at this site, thats where I ordered my blanket from. I would recommend it to anyone with a child who has sensory needs and who has sleep problems. No Lisa the balls can't be destroyed they are 'ball pond' type balls very strong. Ball blankets I feel are far better than weighted blankets. Edited by JeanneA

Was reading another post which mentioned ball blankets, and on researching them I found a UK stockist of the ball blankets (price similar to what was mentioned in the post I saw, however they do a childs version which is a little cheaper (if it is for a child of course) and some other sensory stuff.

http://www.kingkraft.co.uk/shop/department/sensory_corner/

An article about the blankets, and their usefullness (it mentions they can be loaned from the company mentioned above)

is here: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/health/Comfort-blanket-helps-Holly-sleep.6668778.jp

sorry for hijacking your post, just thought that the links/ info may be useful..

Kingkraft is the one I ordered my blanket from but they are made in Denmark so you may order through kingkraft but they then get the blankets in from Denmark, thats why the delivery is so long.

I've emailed the company and they replied that they can "Loan" one of the blankets for two weeks at a cost of £60, which would be deducated from the final cost if you then went on to purchase it.

Can you explain to me a bit more about them? Are they full of just balls that have some weight to them? What kind of size are the balls in diameter? So they must be lumpy and uncomfortable to sleep ontop of? So you would have to use them on top of the bed, or let the child wrap themselves in it? Do the balls have a solid feel to them or are they squashy? Just trying to imagine the sensation when wearing the blanket.

Edited by Sally44

I've emailed the company and they replied that they can "Loan" one of the blankets for two weeks at a cost of £60, which would be deducated from the final cost if you then went on to purchase it.

Can you explain to me a bit more about them? Are they full of just balls that have some weight to them? What kind of size are the balls in diameter? So they must be lumpy and uncomfortable to sleep ontop of? So you would have to use them on top of the bed, or let the child wrap themselves in it? Do the balls have a solid feel to them or are they squashy? Just trying to imagine the sensation when wearing the blanket.

..... also, do the balls move around freely or are they sewn in place? Would it be possible to fill a duvet cover with ball-pit balls and sew up the end for the same effect?

~ Mel ~

The balls in my child's ball blanket are heavier that ball pond balls and move around freely tomould to the child and aids relaxation and security - many children with autism like to be in confined spaces so this creates one in bed

The balls are firm - not squashy at all and cannot be squashed - the child sleeps under the blanket like a normal duvet - we put ours in an ordinary duvet cover

The blanket I have the balls move around freely -however there are some types where the balls are sewn into pockets

oh right it did mention a lead time on these items, explains why!

I noticed it as the company is based not so far away from me, which is what made me read more about it.

Hi Didnt see this thread before I posted yesterday in the resources section about same subject, sorry! I am not sure how to delete the other thread in resources section though - anybody know how I could? The company I mentioned is the same one as you mention on here

Hi Westie/all

I've merged the topics so that all the posts are now together on one thread in Resources, which is probably the best place for it. Hope it all makes sense.

K x

Edited by Kathryn