dana

To be world people

Hi all,

my son told me yesterday something which broke my heart, no matter that I have been aware of it myself. :tearful:

'Mum, I feel really lonely and isolated. I have autism, I don't have any friends, sometimes I want to get out on the grass and run, run around and be 'world people.'

This came after he was bullied at school and got detention for complaining about it. They didn't believe him. They believed the bully. :tearful::wallbash:

I feel soooo helpless.

Danaxxx

Edited by dana

is there a support group or social group for parents and or children in your area? the national autistic society may know. is he still being bullied and how old is your son? have a look at the Autscape website autscape.org you may want to think about coming to the conference and bringing your son.

Thank you Charlotte for your reply.

My son is 11 and recently I am looking for a new secondary school for him. Autoscape seems to be more for adults? It is in Bath (quite a far away from where

I live. Is it expensive to stay there during the conference?

Danaxxx

with autscape it is not always in the same place, Bath is just where it was last year this year it is in west yorkshire. you could join the chat group to find out more and can chat generally whether or not you decide to go and there are other parents on there. It is more adults but there are some children there as well and they do provide child care so parents can attend the talks and activities, not that children are stopped from attending them but some maybe more appropriate than others for them to enjoy / find of interest.

here is the outline which links in to what talks were last year http://www.autscape.org/programme/.

here is the link to the chat room and some info about who can attend what http://www.autscape.org/experience/

these are last years fees as a guide http://www.autscape.org/registration

one good starting point could be a school i used to work at until i went to university as even if it is too far away to be a possible choice or you don't want him to board, or it is not suitable they assess children first for a few days looking at things like life skills, speech, language, any need for occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, physio therapy. and general educational abilities and all the therapists work at the school. then such information can always be used to help find other schools based on the child's needs and abilities and they maybe able to suggest other places. the school goes from age 7-16 and the college 16-19 http://www.st-marys.bexhill.sch.uk/

Dana, i realy feel for you and i do know what you and yoyr son are going through because wehave gone through the same ... my son has been bullied too all his life and doesn't have any friends at school or else where, and unfortunately he doen't have any cousin the same gae so he too is totally isolated. my son was so depressed at one point he was put on Prozac at the ga eof 11yrs! but things will get better believe me >:D<<'> Try contacting Strut or you local county council may have some info on local support groups, it didn't do us much good as my son never wanted to go to any of the organised activities they did during the school holidays but it may work for you... it's worth a try.

Does your son go to main stream?

Thank you, Alexmum2. >:D<<'>

He went to the mainstream secondary school, year 7 but now we are looking for the new school for him with a hope that the new one will handle better bulling. Tomorrow I have initial meeting there.

Danaxxx