Sign in to follow this  
LisaKaz75

DLA awarded

Hi

we have been awarded middle rate carer allowance for Leo (age 3), this is mainly due to lack of awareness of bodily functions and needing constant cleaning and nappy changing etc..

I have now applied for carers allowance. I do not work, or claim anything, I am a stay at home mum, as was made redundant when had Leo and due to his behaviour never got him settled into a playgroup/ nursery till now.

Someone said that there may be other thing we are entitled to (I dont just mean money) she thought we may get help with nappies, and also mentioned loft insulation??

Is anyone aware of this? or other things?

LisaKaz

Hi

You can get loft insulation if you are either on carers or income support,I think they do take your whole household income into account though, not sure if you can apply if you only receive DLA :unsure:

With the nappies it would depend on the age of the child,three is still average for an NT child to be fully potty trained so you could try but you would probably only be eligible when/after he is 4 yrs old,or if he cannot fit into the supermarket products.

If you get Tax credits, you get extra because of the DLA, but they take a bit away for the Carers (as that counts as a taxable income)

I am not sure how this works if you have a household income of under £15000 so get free prescriptions etc. If the carers takes you over that limit it may not be worth claiming IYSWIM

If you are not working you will be entitled to Carers Allowance.

If you get Carers Allowance you can apply for Council Tax Benefit.

You can also apply for the Disabled element of Child Tax Credit.

The last two are means tested. It is worth knowing the threshhold levels. Phone Citizens Advice and ask them if there is an independent benefits agency in your city that can look at all your income and outgoings and see what you maybe entitled to.

For example "Warm Front" scheme. Again it depends on what benefits you are on (I think that DLA makes you eligible). We are having a new boiler installed at no cost to us sometime in the next 4 months as ours is not working properly.

As your child gets older, if you need to care for him 24/7 ie. throughout the night (if he wakes up and needs supervision etc), the DLA can increase. Or if he is not mobile without a car you can apply for a car too. It is rare it is awarded, but I know parents who have had a car because their child cannot use public transport and the incontinence, sensory and autism issues mean that they need to have a car simply to carry all the stuff they need with them all the time.

Well done on being awarded DLA. I just got letter back today turning my son down, they say he doesn't meet the criteria. I would like them to come and live with us even for a day and they would see that he needs a lot more care than other 9 year olds. I am not going to rant, well done to you. I realise that with the cost of nappies etc the award will mean a lot.

Well done on being awarded DLA. I just got letter back today turning my son down, they say he doesn't meet the criteria. I would like them to come and live with us even for a day and they would see that he needs a lot more care than other 9 year olds. I am not going to rant, well done to you. I realise that with the cost of nappies etc the award will mean a lot.

u do know you can appeal, and if they still say no, you can go to a tribunal, it can be a duanting task but it is very nessasary to fight for DLA now, especially as there is going to be cuts, so if you feel your sons needs are more than other children without a disability is more and he is entitled to it, appeal and go all the way to the tribunal if you have tox

JsMumx

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/families/rightsandentitlements/benefitstaxcredits/otherbenefits.html

I would look into having a carers assessment to look at your needs such as respite/short breaks.

I would also look at your son having a core assessments to see if your son could be entitled to sessional workers, play worker, and extra sessions at nursery to help build up his social needs.

Your local area will have a Register for Disabled children which will then link you with any agencies that could support you further, our area have a special needs magazine that goes out every season, so spring, summer, autum and winter.

I would also look into an Occupational Therapist assessment to see if your son could benefit from any equiptment such a bigger pushchair/wheelchair, home adaptions, so showering, bathing, toileting, changing, sleeping needs.

Contact a Family are fab and have a list of grants and funding information on all sorts of things from sensory equiptment to holiday for the family.

You can also contact National Autistic Society too.

http://www.autism.org.uk/en-gb/living-with-autism/benefits-and-community-care.aspx

you can access things like a carers card for the cinema,sports facilities, theme parks and attractions so the carer is free in many attractions.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum