Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Annual Review

Last year the AR was held at the beginning of February and the LGO ruled that it was 'late', but not to an extent that it affected my son.

I have not been informed of when the next AR is going to be. If we need reports two week prior to it, then they cannot keep to the deadline as the original Statement was finalised on 2nd February.

So shall I just leave them to see what they do and if I hear nothing by 1st february contact the LGO again?

If they give me an AR date for next week, can I refuse that date as they cannot circulate reports two weeks prior?

My understanding is that eventhough the second statement was finalised in September, and there is an appeal for this statement, that the Annual Review date is the date the first Statement was finalised, which is February.

Edited by Sally44

Not sure about the legal refs, but I think the statutory re-assessment that you had since the last annual review starts things over.

So any annual review now will be within 12 months of the date of the finalised amended statement following the re-assessment.

This is what happened with my DS2.

Lizzie x

Edited by BusyLizzie100

Yes you are right, just got off the phone from IPSEA. Getting over the shock of actually getting through!

She said that as it was a re-assessment and now a 'second statement' that the AR had to be held within 12 months of the date the second statement was finalised. That will take us to the beginning of year 6. So I presume they may not name his secondary school then and wait for the following February?? or would they have to name it anyway as that would be the final review before transfer?

Yes you are right, just got off the phone from IPSEA. Getting over the shock of actually getting through!

She said that as it was a re-assessment and now a 'second statement' that the AR had to be held within 12 months of the date the second statement was finalised. That will take us to the beginning of year 6. So I presume they may not name his secondary school then and wait for the following February?? or would they have to name it anyway as that would be the final review before transfer?

IS your son currently in Year 5? I presume then that the statement was finalised at the beginning of year 5. So the next AR must take place within 12 months of that. If this takes place at the beginning of year 6 it's likely to be the review for his phase transfer to secondary. The statement will have to be amended for the phase transfer - this could be a complete rewrite, for example if the child has had the same statement for several years, or it could remain identical or very similar to the original. (My DS2's statement was about 18 months old and only needed slight updating to Part 2 - Part 3 remained the same).

This statement, the one for the phase transfer, MUST by law be finalised by 15 Feb in the year of transfer, in this case in the Feb of Year 6. The secondary school cannot be named on the statement until it is finalised, although obviously it's wise to be discussing options. When you get the proposed statement you'll be invited to express a preference for a school.

One note: a friend of mine had an annual review at the end of Y5, which the SENCO said was for the phase transfer. But this would have meant that the statement would be quite out of date by the time of the actual transfer, so the school agreed to hold a subsequent annual review at the beginning of January in Year 6. This still means that the statement must be finalised by 15 Feb.

And the date 15 Feb is to give parents time to appeal if necessary before the child actually transfers in the September.

Hope that helps.

Lizzie x

IS your son currently in Year 5? I presume then that the statement was finalised at the beginning of year 5. So the next AR must take place within 12 months of that. If this takes place at the beginning of year 6 it's likely to be the review for his phase transfer to secondary. The statement will have to be amended for the phase transfer - this could be a complete rewrite, for example if the child has had the same statement for several years, or it could remain identical or very similar to the original. (My DS2's statement was about 18 months old and only needed slight updating to Part 2 - Part 3 remained the same).

This statement, the one for the phase transfer, MUST by law be finalised by 15 Feb in the year of transfer, in this case in the Feb of Year 6. The secondary school cannot be named on the statement until it is finalised, although obviously it's wise to be discussing options. When you get the proposed statement you'll be invited to express a preference for a school.

One note: a friend of mine had an annual review at the end of Y5, which the SENCO said was for the phase transfer. But this would have meant that the statement would be quite out of date by the time of the actual transfer, so the school agreed to hold a subsequent annual review at the beginning of January in Year 6. This still means that the statement must be finalised by 15 Feb.

And the date 15 Feb is to give parents time to appeal if necessary before the child actually transfers in the September.

Hope that helps.

Lizzie x

In the county where I used to live the transfer review would happen a year before for SEN children.So around June of year 5, it was so people had enough time to appeal as they said it could take up to 10mths sometimes. :o Its amazing how things vary so much!

My sons statement was finalised in Jan of Yr 5, and his transfer to secondary review was in June of Yr 5.

Our LEA had sorted out the places at special schools by Nov of Yr 6 (long before the mainstream places were allocated)