Sign in to follow this  
Rob's mum

School

Hi,

I have not been on here for a while, but i am not sure what to do. So i though i would ask you.

My son has ASD and is in main stream school. He is 5, so only in Reception class. The hospital wrote to the school about his condition and said that he needs extra social skills development. This was September 2010 when he first started. He hasn't met the Senco person at the school yet or had any extra help. I have just been to the hospital again for his 6 month check and the doctor was quite annoyed that my son had not been to see the Senco person. I do know that the Senco person is also a full time teacher. My son has not got an IEP either. When talking to his teacher today she says that she doesn't feel he needs any extra help. Obviously the doctor does.

What should i do? Who should i believe?

Also to add to this, the speech therapist has sent in the report from his last lot of sessions to the school and his teacher has not got them. She thinks they may have been passed on to the Senco person. So he is not getting his speaking skills help either.

Should i move him to a different school or should i go in and have a go?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I have not been on here for a while, but i am not sure what to do. So i though i would ask you.

My son has ASD and is in main stream school. He is 5, so only in Reception class. The hospital wrote to the school about his condition and said that he needs extra social skills development. This was September 2010 when he first started. He hasn't met the Senco person at the school yet or had any extra help. I have just been to the hospital again for his 6 month check and the doctor was quite annoyed that my son had not been to see the Senco person. I do know that the Senco person is also a full time teacher. My son has not got an IEP either. When talking to his teacher today she says that she doesn't feel he needs any extra help. Obviously the doctor does.

What should i do? Who should i believe?

Also to add to this, the speech therapist has sent in the report from his last lot of sessions to the school and his teacher has not got them. She thinks they may have been passed on to the Senco person. So he is not getting his speaking skills help either.

Should i move him to a different school or should i go in and have a go?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hi

I would'nt move him just yet as he has only just started school.It is difficult really, in reality the teachers and staff at the school know him best from an education point of view the doctor can advise on what thhey should be doing but they dont have to do it.

However if you as a parent feel he needs more input then you can push for this on your own.I would insist on him having an IEP as he has special needs and its the starting point for any furture help he may need.

Tell the SENCO that you want him to have an IEP,she cannot refuse this if she does tell her you are going to make a formal complaint.Once he is on IEP'S make sure they have written down the help which he needs and how they are going to provide this help.

Give it a month or two(easter break) if you still feel nothing is been done then look for something else,in fact you can look around now anyway,mainstreams vary so much and you may find one that already has ASD kids and kknows how to do things.

I am a Key stage 1 teacher and know from experience that it's not unusual for reception children to seem fine as the EYFS curriculum is very child led and free. In Y1, difficulties tend to begin to become more apparent, and you may find that this is what will happen with your little boy. It is still worth you meeting up with the SENCO (and by the way, most primary SENCOs are also full time teachers) and having the school note that your child has a diagnosis. I would give copies of his diagnosis and the speech and language report in to the head teacher with a letter explaining what you have been advised and asking for a meeting with the SENCO and the class teacher. It may well be that at this stage, he needs only 'a watchful eye' but at least he is on the radar then and you can explain what you have nbeen told by the hospital and the speech and language therapist. If they won't do this, which would be surprising, then I would write to the head teacher and ask politely again but saying that if you get no further, then you will contact the chair of the governing body. Hopefully it won't get that far. It shouldn't be necessary to move him, and it may well be that he is able to cope at the moment. Mine managed all the way to the juniors before there were any significant concerns. On the bright side, if he has made a good start to school, then hurrah! Enjoy the moment!