Sign in to follow this  
George

GF/CF

Hi, I am new to this forum, I have a son (five in September) who was diagnosed ASD in May, although I knew this for some time before. I am home educating him and we live in Cornwall with my mother.

Just thought I would introduce myself with some GF/CF recipes I?ve made up, (although I?m no expert) Jamie has been on this diet since February.

I hope that these are useful to anyone else implementing this diet.

Chocolate biscuits (always a good place to start)

4oz Flour mix (I make up a batch of flour mix, put it in a plastic box in the freezer. This is 2 cups rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch flour, 1/2 cup tapioca flour)

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

3oz Sunflower organic spread (pure)

1 tbsp sugar (Jamie turns into Tasmanian devil if more than this)

1 tbsp green & blacks cocoa

mix (with hands) until a sticky ball, carefully roll out with plenty of flour until 1/2 inch thick, (I use mini teddy and mini men cutters, makes about eighteen)

200?c for 10 ?15 mins or until firm and quite dry looking (they burn easily)

Quick Chicken Nuggets

1 Chicken breast cut into tiny pieces

1 beaten egg

2 crackers (Trufree from Tescos)

Handful of crisps (I use crisps cooked in sunflower oil, kettle chips)

Put the crackers and crisps in a freezer bag and take a rolling pin to it, mix everything together (this mix does look quite sloppy at this stage) Use two spoons to arrange the mixture on a baking tray in ten nugget shapes.

(you can do all this with an electric hand wizzer thing or a blender depending on the texture that you know your child likes, I just like using the rolling pin)

200?c for 10 mins, they come out nice and crispy and good to take out with you.

I have got recipes for beans, cakes and pizza and ice cream too if anyone would like them.

George

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for the recipes!

They sound great :)

Just one question...do you find the cocoa powder is quite 'strong' in taste, like dark chocolate?

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Hi bid,

Thanks - yes the cocoa powder is very strong I try not to use too much of it - Jamie likes the strong flavour of dark choc, quite an acquired taste I think, but he has always been in to really strong tasting food - like olives with garlic and chilli - it makes me wince!

I made these cookies today. Apart from the fact that I nearly melted, it only took 10 minutes and they didn't make it off the cooling tray into the biscuit tin. Quality control (that's me) didn't get a look-in.

Thats great - I'm testing some choc chip biscuits on jamie at the moment - I'll pass the recipe on if he gives them the thumbs up!

George. :)

Hi George,

I am a complete CF/ GF novice but wanting to try and see if it helps my daughter. The choc bics sound great - one question - are all the different flours you describe widely available in ordinary supermarkets and where would I find xanthan gum?

I don't think our local Morrisons is that adventurous - but I've never looked!

K

Hi Kathryn - just a flying post, the different flours are available at health food shops, so is the xanthan gum, I think holland and barrett are quite good too - I'll post later today with more info!

GeorgeX

Hi kathryn -

Doves Farm flours are available in many Tesco & Sainsbury etc branches now. Both bread flour and plain flour mixes have Xantham gum ready added, so you only need worry about baking powder if you want a s/r recipe. may not come out exactly as per georges recipe, but if you're only a 'casual' baker saves you buying three or four different ones that may not all get used.

bd :D

As baddad said doves farm have some really good flours and Tescos and sainsburys both have a good gluten/dairy free range of products but look closely at the labels as wheat free isnt the same as totally gluten free as gluten is in others flours like rye and spelt - Oats also have a small amount of gluten. Flours that ok are Rice, Tapioca , Potato, Soy and gram. Maize Meal and polenta are also good for cooking.

Other things that I have found good to aviod are MSG, aspartame, Colours,Artificial flavours and preservatives, only beacause my son reacts badly to these,Especially preservatives in meat like sausages and bacon.

Making my son some sausages at the moment - If it passes I will post the recipe, I have got a lot of recipes I've made up but I'm a bit rubbish at organising myself enough to get them posted! - I'll get myself sorted out one of these days -

acually I really want to write a recipe book, A lot of the recipes I have read are loaded with sugar and if anyone elses child is like Jamie he turns into the tasmanian devil.

Would anyone be interested in a practical recipe book - would you buy one and what kind of recipes would you be interested in?

It would be great to hear comments

George X

Thanks George and Baddad, :)

Much of my "food shopping" gets done in the 10 minutes before school pick up time, hence the reluctance to wander the aisles in search of exotic stuff!

I've never taken the food intolerance seriously before but my daughter herself is now keen to switch to gluten free in the hope that it might help her painful joints. As she is vegetarian, we have to be careful what we cut out. We have already switched to GF pasta and I'm on the look out for a good GF bread as she eats a lot of that (goes through about half a loaf a day).

She has a fondness for pastry especially the vegetarian sausage rolls which I make, so if you know which GF flour is the best for pastry please tell me.

A recipe book sounds interesting - especially if it has easy everyday stuff in it and tells lazy shoppers like me where to get the ingredients (as you just have B) ).

K

I'm on the look out for a good GF bread as she eats a lot of that (goes through about half a loaf a day).

She has a fondness for pastry especially the vegetarian sausage rolls which I make, so if you know which GF flour is the best for pastry please tell me.

Hi again Kathryn -

Shop bread - the best I've found is DS Multigrain loaf (great for toast).. Tesco's and Sainsbury's stock and you can get on scrip if you've got the right GP. Is lactose free (i.emailed them) but doesn't say on the packet.

Pastry - So far i've not been very successful. There are bakewell tarts and Apple pies out there that taste fine, so it can be done... I've just not worked out how to do it!

You could try, vegetarian sausage 'wraps' or pittas, or Tortillas though...

There WAS good music after 1983, but very few good record shops... I imagine you mourn the demise of the 'listening booth', like the rest of us 'inbetweenies'...

George - there's one for the recipe book; a reliable pastry recipe without all that 'roll out between cling film' nonsense! Also, Calorie/Carb/Fat/Gluten/Dairy free cheesecake please :D

L&P

BD

On the bread, even I can do the Orgran mixes that you throw into a breadmaker. The tomato and basil one is even quite nice. Their apple and cinnamon pancakes are bluuuurghhh, though.

My local Tesco has these in their organic dry goods isle. I also find that if I take the trouble to find a customer suggestion card and fill it out, two weeks later what I've asked for is on the shelves.

CMJ -

Pancake MIX!! Shame on you! Doves Farm plain flour makes lovely ones (ben tells me - I'm 'Not Allowed'...) and it's much cheaper. i've found tinned fruit is a good topping, with a fructose sweetener for added, erm, sweetness (kids, eh!). There are a few 'free from' toppings, but the sugar content's soooooo high they end up dancing on the ceiling anyway! Buckwheat pancakes make a nice change too, they look a bit grey and the texture is more 'rubbery', but they have a sort of musty undertaste that's good for savoury 'wraps'.

BD :D

Hi all -

Shopping at the weekend in Tesco's we found some NEW gf/df Garlic and Coriander Naan Breads. Ben was dancing :lol:

I cooked him a curry last night so he could try one, and he reports that they are absolutely "deeeeeeeeeellllllliiiiiiiisssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssss!"

Expensive (of course!), but he's worth it, and much more authentic than my 'mock' puri's and more exciting than popadom... You'll find 'em in the 'freefrom' section, and they're branded LIVWELL. Package says 'milk free' rather than dairy free, but there's nothing screamingly obvious to indicate caseins, and ben at least had no side effects...

L&P

BD

Hi all,

I tried my hand today at making vegetarian sausage rolls using rice flour instead of the usual kind. Didn't like the feel of the pastry which had a sticky "playdoughy" kind of texture and wouldn't roll out very well, so I wasn't sure how they'd turn out.

L loved them, fortunately, but I'm not sure I have the energy to do all that again. So if anyone does find a flour that makes better pastry, let me know.

K