workingmum

Desperately searching for independent schools in SE london with ASD provision

I haven't been able to find one either, so will be following this with interest.

Our son had a place at a LEA special secondary school in this area, but things didn't work out for him there.

interesting, as we do not want a special school - the schol SENCO is arranging a ameeting with LEA professional - CORE panel - it is called to decide what school will be best. we are concerned that they might say special school. so actively loking for any other alternatives - fee paying but not special - small school and not high selective even though he is high fucntioning - the highly selective might not suiot hi/ i think it is all about the other tthings as well as academics.

I accepted the special school as it seemed more likely to work than a big mainstream. The size was right, but many other bits weren't.

I found one small independant school, and contacted them myself (although they do not have any sort of ASD provision)

The answer was "Sorry, we do not have a vacancy for a child with special needs at this time".

Good luck, I really hope you find somewhere suitable.

We are in SE London / Surrey so not that far away and we're at the early stages of considering secondary education.

Round here Whitgift School looks to have good SEN provision, and the Ed Psych also says Dulwich College would also be interested in ASD pupils. I know that both are first rate for bright NTs; but also both are rather expensive.

A little outside the area but the Royal Alexandra & Albert School just outside Redhill is an exceptional school with a very good reputation for ASD.

I am very interested to hear about any others, particularly smaller schools.

Meopham school and Longfield Academy both had ASD units, not sure if they still do. Both in West Kent nr Dartford. I looked at Royal Alexandra & Albert, thought it looked good but in what would have been my son's year group a boy with ASD was asked to leave - made the papers, so look closely!

http://www.longfieldacademy.org/policies/special_needs.php

http://www.meopham.kent.sch.uk/html/nick%20hornby/admissions.html

Edited by av16

Baston House? Brand new, but owned by the Hillingdon Manor people. Not what you've specified but worth a look IMHO as I think ASD-friendly independent is as rare as hens' teeth. Edited by call me jaded

My geoegraphy is a bit hazy, but I think The Priory Group has a school near Reading? My DS went to a Priory school, and we couldn't have been happier.

Bid :)

Edited by bid

There's a new Priory school at Roehampton now (next to The Priory). I went with a friend to visit it before it opened. They were keen to progress students academically.

hello, i have so far visited centre academy - special school and international community school. Both looks similar in terms of provision. but centre = do not offer 1-1 as the class sizes are small - 5 kids.

still confused which is best.

at centre - dc might not stand out as been different as all do the same - but might notice the diff - varying ability kids - might start to copy behaviour

at ics - might stand out - as may be 1 or 2 with varying work structure - perception of been different might cause problems but has peer group.

both offer sen differently.