smiley1590

house rules - Jodi Picoult

i have just managed borrow for library ever since got this book this afternoon havnt been able to put it down i am stuck like glue to this book i think personally my opinion jodi has explained AS daily life to T all struggles etc from all different POV's ( mother's, brothers and AS lad himself) shows how 'everyone' in the family is 'affected' with AS how struggle battle and fight is with everyone involved .... this book is interesting read! amazing! i know she did alot research into background of AS world speaking to 2 teens with it and also has cousin whos has autism she has got clear knowledge understanding and presents this fantastically expressive in how we become confused and lost easy in our 'own world' and need adult reassurance guidance along the way .... to 'comfort us' in times of need hard tough experiences we go through i think it shows it perfectly! i would recommend this book to others with AS and family members as it explains further deeper into how affects every bit of your life every min sec you wake up until go to sleep! i think it really points it out on different level! even though it s make belief story line not true! gripping plot have hanging on edge of my seat!

XKLX

snow cake ( DVD) , rainman DVD starring dustin hoffman ( savant syndrome) ,mysterious creatures DVD ( ITV drama) , a curious incident of the dog in the night time - mark haddon ( book)

XKX

Well, I have to say that I thought it was a brilliant portrayal of how a parent's collusion can be ultimately more disabling than their child's actual autism.

The mother had allowed, and indeed encouraged, her son to dominate the entire household, to the point of neglecting her other child. She placed no expectations on him, either for independent living skills or for any self-control. The most vivid example to me was the fact that she had allowed the whole household to be held ransom to the idea that a different coloured food had to be eaten each day of the week. What nonsense!! You work hard with a younger child to avoid these kinds of life-limiting behaviours, and you certainly don't let the child dictate to the whole household.

Interesting that when the lawyer did place expectations on the lad that his mother said were 'cruel', he was actually able to modify his behaviour...for example, his mother said he couldn't possibly be expected to wear a button-up shirt. The lawyer said he had to, and the lad worked out for himself that he could wear a t-shirt underneath and so cope with the sensory issues for the duration of the trial.

Harrumph!! :lol:

Bid :)

ETA: I quite like Jodi P, although she does get a bit formulaic. I really enjoyed her book set in an Amish community, which I found fascinating as I know very little about them. But I wonder if any Amish reading that book had a good rant about how their community had been portrayed? ;)

Edited by bid

When I found out about this book I spent weeks and weeks searching it out at my library. When I finally found a copy I was very disappointed. Thought she'd just lumped together a whole lot of stereotypes, things she'd read about in textbooks, etc. and just stuck them all in to make a character. I stuck with it to the end but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who knows about AS.

~ Mel ~

When I found out about this book I spent weeks and weeks searching it out at my library. When I finally found a copy I was very disappointed. Thought she'd just lumped together a whole lot of stereotypes, things she'd read about in textbooks, etc. and just stuck them all in to make a character. I stuck with it to the end but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who knows about AS.

~ Mel ~

That's exactly what my eldest DD said!

The thing I couldn't work out, looking at my rant above, was whether Picoult was portraying the mother like that as a criticism, or to say this is how 'selfless' mothers sacrifice everything for their autistic kids?? Hmmm... :unsure:

Bid :)

Edited by bid

The thing I couldn't work out, looking at my rant above, was whether Picoult was portraying the mother like that as a criticism, or to say this is how 'selfless' mothers sacrifice everything for their autistic kids?? Hmmm... :unsure:

Felt to me like she was preaching that this is how it has to be if you have a kid with AS, ticked me off, tbh.

~ Mel ~

What about the other boy, Theo? In the "book club" notes at the end of my library copy his fondness for sneaking into strangers' houses is called a "Goldilocks complex". Is that a recognised psychological condition? Don't suppose the shrinks in my neighbourhood often have occasion to diagnose it, but then who in their right minds in London would leave their back door unlocked?!

~ Mel ~

JP seems to be a "bestseller writer", she seems to tackle every topic that would be bought by the public. Still, I liked "House Rules", especially the ending which I won't spoil here.

Can anyone recommend any other fictional books or films where ASDs feature?

There's A Way Through the Mountains by Elizabeth McGregor, although TBH I preferred the descriptions of scenery to the character portrayals.