munty13

Kicked off ESA! Again!

I've just been refused any futher payments of ESA. I've been on ESA for over a year now, but following a Work Capability Assessment, with one appointment with a doctor for a medical assessment, I score only a total of 12. The Asperger's is recognised, but the assessment does not take into account any of the problems I have with people. In previous jobs, my behaviour has proved to be pretty disruptive - upsetting work colleagues and customers - and not least myself.

Sometimes I feel like I don't have the right to argue with the assessment. Maybe it's time I went straight into work. But I know problems will only be ignited wherever I go.

I guess some of this is my fault. When I saw the pyschologist last year, he also diagnosed anxiety, and a paranoid personality disorder, but I tend not to mention that. Perhaps I should have said something about it. I don't like saying I have a paranoid personality disorder, because I feel it is labelling what I experience with people as being something I imagine, when in-fact these problems with people are very real, and distressing. I prefer to say that I am AS.

I experience anxiety around people, but the anxiety is nowhere near as great as what it was 3 years ago. However, what has got a lot worse, is my ability to communicate openly with people. I have less anxiety, but I endure much more stress these days. After some outbursts with my neighbours, people in my community now see me as somekind of "monster" I am constantly pursued with dirty looks and insults which drives my anxiety further, and keeps me stressed. But how do I explain this to the appeal process without sounding nuts?!

I get so fed up with this whole process. A year ago I had the same thing happen in the assessment, which I appealed against, and then I was rewarded ESA (after I sent them papers describing the saw diagnosis for PPD).

Has anyone else been in the same boat? I wonder if all this sounds familiar at all?

Unfortunately ESA is for physical disabilities any type of neurlogical/mental disabilities do not exsist as far as ESA is concerned however my sister who is aspergers does get ESA but they insist on her going to interviews perodically as she may outgrow her disabilities. Like most benefits you claim more times than not you will not get awarded first time in my opinion as the percentage of people will just give up and claim normal benefits, because of this i would advice that you always take the matter further always list everything no matter how small.

Notwithstanding the fact, of course, that for people with Aspergers getting a job in itself is often a monumental challenge. Funny how your difficulties can so readily preclude you from employment, but not enable you to get benefits intended for people with such difficulties.

my deaf blind twin brother has applied for this Benefit which he now recieves but has to go regular medical even though the family doctor wrote a note to them saying his physical needs are life long and never going to 'improve' or change .... they need so much evidence and proof which can understand due to 'fakers'

but these 'fakers' make so much of a battle challenge fight for 'real' need to tirelessly prove their case and needs are truly 'need' not agreed for benefit money! but if has struggle on his hands proving his needs are long term my parents couldn't get around their system of him having to go for several medical interviews when stated he is deaf blind and wears hearing aids and totally blind you only have to take one look or believe him! makes so mad angry

i could get it more if it was for me as mine 'hidden' background difficulties has look closer deeper to be 'proven' i struggle battle everyday living with A.S dyspraxia MH probs but something so in your face and obvious they just don't get it simple as! grrr....

XKLX

Unfortunately ESA is for physical disabilities any type of neurlogical/mental disabilities do not exsist as far as ESA is concerned

I want to quote ESA is the newer version of incapacity and it isnt for physical disabilities my sister has mental health problems and she has it for that

I want to quote ESA is the newer version of incapacity and it isnt for physical disabilities my sister has mental health problems and she has it for that

She is very lucky as the point scheme they have makes it near impossible which i disagree with it isnt setup for people with mental disabilities in my opinion, infact i believe it descriminates against mental disabilities altogether.

Go for an appeal.

Always describe how you are on a BAD day and give examples, noting the effects on you and others.

Get assistance with the forms eg CAB, disability rights organisation, social worker etc.

Certainly mention the mental health disorders that have been diagnosed. Who cares if they think "You're nuts." It's confidential and you will probably never meet them! Unfortunately, you are one of many, you are to them a statistic, so don't worry about telling them everything.

ESA is for both physical and mental conditions.

All the best.

Jannih

Hi. Thankyou to everyone who offered advice.

I wanted to report what has happened so that if anyone else shall ever find themselves in the same position as I did, that they might be reassured by the appeal process.

I won the appeal. Which is great news. I'm especially glad that I did not have to lean on the diagnosis of a paranoid personality disorder, and that I was able describe the problems I experience with people as something which is more symptomatic of me being on the spectrum.

So, if anyone was ever to unearth this thread on goggle or whatever, I hope it offers them a glimmer of hope in pursuing the appeal process.

esa is run by atos, and yeah its hard to get on it and stay on it. Glad to hear you won the appeal though. I think it is mainly more for physical difficulties but really a mental health difficulty could be just as hard to deal with if not worse when trying to work. Like if you put a manicly depressed schizophrenic into an office who thought snipers were going to shoot him or her through the window, what sort of behaviour would result? Would they be dangerous to the other workers? Perhaps they think that once the original claim is denied the applicant wont bother trying to appeal so they dont have to pay out as much cash, jobseekers costs the government less. But if that is the case, everyone should appeal, especially if they have real difficulties in life and have A.S, the system was invented for a reason and meant to help people who need it

Also with ESA put as much documentation with the form - I put dla letter and also got my cpn to fill out the form. Remember to put the worse case scenrio and also if you do go to an interview you can take someone like an advocate or a supportive relative :D