Aeolienne

Hello from Aeolienne

I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome in 2001, aged 26 - too late to claim perks at university such as a free laptop etc. I'd been moved to seek a diagnosis after being fired from my first proper job after just five weeks for "not fitting in". By the time the diagnosis was official, I had got another job within the scientific civil service. I'm from London originally, but worked in Bracknell, Berkshire, for a couple of years and then relocated with my employer to Exeter. In May 2009 I was dismissed on the grounds of underperformance. After a year on the dole I got offered a job with an environmental consultancy in Skipton, North Yorkshire. Not my preferred choice of location by a long chalk - I'd much rather have moved to Bristol - but it was the only offer I'd received so I moved up north. Then a week before Christmas 2010 I was fired for not having "delivered the right level of technical input". It's anyone's guess how differently things might have turned out if I'd had the right support in place from day one, but my efforts to tap into local sources of support were frustratingly slow to bring results, and being without broadband for the first two months of my job didn't help. God only knows where I'll end up next.

My hobbies and interests include reading, environmental issues, Baroque music, recorder playing, hillwalking, cycling, outdoor swimming and visiting art exhibitions.

Hi and welcome to the forum Aeolienne. :)

Sounds like you're going through a tough time. I hope you manage to find a new job soon.

K x

Hi Aeolienne

Sorry to hear your having a tough time, going through similar situation myself with employers!

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time with work. I hope you will be able to find something soon. Have you heard of "Prospects" run by the National Autistic Society? They might be able to offer you some kind of help.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome in 2001, aged 26 - too late to claim perks at university such as a free laptop etc. I'd been moved to seek a diagnosis after being fired from my first proper job after just five weeks for "not fitting in". By the time the diagnosis was official, I had got another job within the scientific civil service. I'm from London originally, but worked in Bracknell, Berkshire, for a couple of years and then relocated with my employer to Exeter. In May 2009 I was dismissed on the grounds of underperformance. After a year on the dole I got offered a job with an environmental consultancy in Skipton, North Yorkshire. Not my preferred choice of location by a long chalk - I'd much rather have moved to Bristol - but it was the only offer I'd received so I moved up north. Then a week before Christmas 2010 I was fired for not having "delivered the right level of technical input". It's anyone's guess how differently things might have turned out if I'd had the right support in place from day one, but my efforts to tap into local sources of support were frustratingly slow to bring results, and being without broadband for the first two months of my job didn't help. God only knows where I'll end up next.

My hobbies and interests include reading, environmental issues, Baroque music, recorder playing, hillwalking, cycling, outdoor swimming and visiting art exhibitions.

If you had a free choice and hindsight, what support would you have needed in these jobs that might have made them turn out differently ? I've had some bad experiences work wise but some good ones too so it's not one way traffic. And in one job I lasted 48 hours, which I'm actually quite proud of. Not an AS issue, just a rubbish job that I was daft enough to take on.

Like the name Aeolienne - derivation from Greek Aeolus god of weather ?

Edited by dm2010

How do you pronounce your username?

Ee-oh-lee-en, roughly.

Have you heard of "Prospects" run by the National Autistic Society? They might be able to offer you some kind of help.

Yes, but unfortunately they no longer cover the north of England - their Manchester presence ended yesterday. I only discovered this after I'd waited nearly three months to see the disability employment advisor at Skipton jobcentre. So there's been a change of plan: I'm moving in with my parents in London in two weeks' time. I have put my name forward for Prospects Transition in London, but there's a long waiting list (and in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not a recent graduate!).

If you had a free choice and hindsight, what support would you have needed in these jobs that might have made them turn out differently?

I can't help feeling that if I'd been properly managed continuously and coherently - as in given clear, direct, honest, timely feedback, SMART targets regularly updated and a career development plan, if more use had been made of the skills I brought to the employer from my university studies rather than allowing them to rust over through lack of use - all this would have never happened. But then I would say that, wouldn't I?

Like the name Aeolienne - derivation from Greek Aeolus god of weather ?

Indirectly. I originally got it from a Quebecois news article about renewable energy - it's the feminine form of the adjective for wind energy, as in energie aeolienne, parc aolien. French French drops the initial A.

Hello and welcome

Yes, but unfortunately they no longer cover the north of England - their Manchester presence ended yesterday. I only discovered this after I'd waited nearly three months to see the disability employment advisor at Skipton jobcentre. So there's been a change of plan: I'm moving in with my parents in London in two weeks' time. I have put my name forward for Prospects Transition in London, but there's a long waiting list (and in case you hadn't noticed, I'm not a recent graduate!).

Unfortunately the waiting list for Prospects Transition remains long because of staff shortages. I've been told to expect to be contacted about a month before I get to the top of the list - and until then, nada.

Update

Between October '11 and February '12 I did an internship with an electronics firm in Cambridge in the hope that it would lead to a permanent job. Unfortunately it didn't, and on leaving I moved back in with my parents and I joined the Prospects waiting list for the fourth time. (Each time I've joined their waiting list I get shoved to the back of the queue again.) I did try to get ahead of things by posting my CV on job boards and applying for positions while I was still in work, but all that led to were a couple of phone interviews. Since then I've been rung by several recruitment consultancies but haven't had any more interviews - only technical tests, based on the fact that I mention C# and Python on my CV, but I haven't passed any of them.

Prospects tried to ring me the other day but didn't bother to leave a message, considering they were ringing a female who could have lived alone that was the least they could do. I have emailed someone involved in prospects in the hope they will get back in touch with me.

Prospects tried to ring me the other day but didn't bother to leave a message, considering they were ringing a female who could have lived alone that was the least they could do. I have emailed someone involved in prospects in the hope they will get back in touch with me.

How much help can they be seeing as they only cover London and Glasgow? I suppose it's too early to say.

They would know im not a London or Glasgow number when they rang. Will try and get back to them on Tuesday. i could take the training/interview in London.

They would know im not a London or Glasgow number when they rang.

I think your asking a bit much if you expect someone to check were you live from your phone number.

You have misunderstood, Prospects Glasgow would ring people in Glasgow, Prospects London would ring people in London, they can tell from the area codes. Also it is possible I have filled in an application form which they would have my address, or they have my address from another department within the NAS>

Update

Between October '11 and February '12 I did an internship with an electronics firm in Cambridge in the hope that it would lead to a permanent job. Unfortunately it didn't, and on leaving I moved back in with my parents and I joined the Prospects waiting list for the fourth time. (Each time I've joined their waiting list I get shoved to the back of the queue again.)

*** CORRECTION ***

It turns out I did not actually lose my place in the queue as a result of the internship, and I am now scheduled to start Prospects Transition on 17 July. In fact it could be even sooner, because of this thing called the Right to Control. My local authority the London Borough of Barnet is one of the pilot areas.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_178645

Still remains to be seen how helpful Prospects will be, especially in terms of finding a job in Bristol. I've set myself the task of drawing up a list of all the companies in the city that interest me in the hope that a door just might be opened somehow, someday...