Sign in to follow this  
kwjd

1st session at the hospital

Yesterday I took my son went to the hospital for a play session. The Dr's have been to visit us at home a few weeks ago.To be honest I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was asked to sit and watch and answer questions if needed.

There were two Dr's one just sat and watched and wrote notes. They other Dr sat with my son and played some games. I didn't think he would interact with the Dr as much as he did, but he did it with his own agenda. She tried to engage him the toys. but all he kept doing and repeating " putting him in the trunk" I counted 42 times it was a girl doll. Is it the norm for ASDs to use the term "he" all the time even when its a woman/girl?

Other games included an imaginary game where she wanted him to pretend to brush his teeth. He didn't have any interest and couldn't do it, however when she got out some soap and a towel and asked him to wash his hands he proceeded to say "I'm cleaning" while

he was wiping the table with the towel. the Dr also tried to tell him about her pond at home with frogs my son didn't have any interest in this and ignored her. He didn't answer any of her questions at all.

One big thing I did notice was he didn't give eye contact and he looked around the room as in a daze, as well as when she was trying to speak to him. This was very new to me I haven't seen him do this. I found that hard to watch.

They are going to visit him next week to see him with his peers. So things are moving along.

I hope it went well I'm not sure does anyone have any comments as it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Yesterday I took my son went to the hospital for a play session. The Dr's have been to visit us at home a few weeks ago.To be honest I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was asked to sit and watch and answer questions if needed.

There were two Dr's one just sat and watched and wrote notes. They other Dr sat with my son and played some games. I didn't think he would interact with the Dr as much as he did, but he did it with his own agenda. She tried to engage him the toys. but all he kept doing and repeating " putting him in the trunk" I counted 42 times it was a girl doll. Is it the norm for ASDs to use the term "he" all the time even when its a woman/girl?

Hi kelly

Making errors with pronouns is common in autistic spectrum disorders. So is repeating the same phrase over and over.

Other games included an imaginary game where she wanted him to pretend to brush his teeth. He didn't have any interest and couldn't do it, however when she got out some soap and a towel and asked him to wash his hands he proceeded to say "I'm cleaning" while

he was wiping the table with the towel. the Dr also tried to tell him about her pond at home with frogs my son didn't have any interest in this and ignored her. He didn't answer any of her questions at all.

So is not answering questions or changing the subject or talking about things you've never experienced (the frogs in someone else's pond).

One big thing I did notice was he didn't give eye contact and he looked around the room as in a daze, as well as when she was trying to speak to him. This was very new to me I haven't seen him do this. I found that hard to watch.

And visual and auditory processing difficulties. He was in a new environment with someone he didn't know and quite likely experiencing sensory overload.

They are going to visit him next week to see him with his peers. So things are moving along.

I hope it went well I'm not sure does anyone have any comments as it would be much appreciated. Thanks

I'm glad they are getting on with the assessment. It sounds as if they got quite a lot of responses from your boy, so will be able to form a clear picture of his areas of difficulty. If it's any consolation he sounds exactly like my son at the same age, who is now a quirky 12 year-old with a lot of issues to cope with but great company and bright and entertaining with a dry sense of humour. This was a kid who said nothing at all some days when he was little and never showed much interest in anything except books.

Actually, he's still not interested in much apart from books.

Hope it all goes well next week.

cb