Sign in to follow this  
peugeot

another newbie

Hi all, new to this site but not new to Aspergers! I have a 12 yr old dd with aspergers who was eventually diagnosed in 2005 and its been a struggle ever since, saw camhs for quite a few yrs but tbh they were completely useless, the biggest problem with my dd is the anger and stress, it never ends from morning till night and she started her periods back in january so our house is like a war zone :(

The reason I came onto this site is because she has never been dry at night, I dont know wether its connected or not. we have tried the alarms, drinking more in the day, less in the day, no drinks after 6pm, desmotabs and everything!!! she is on desmopressin again but my question is... Does anyone know of anything to completely protect a mattress from getting wet?? I am fed up of buying new mattress's it costs a fortune not to mention my water, electricity and gas bills :(, I use protective covers (which are rubbish) and bed pads but they still dont work, at the moment I have left the protective wrapping on which came with her new mattress as I don't want it ruined again but this is not ideal as it sounds like shes sleeping on packets of crisps! lol

anyway this has turned into a bit of an essay.

thanks for reading :)

you can get a plastic sheeting that cover the mattress so it doesn't ruin it and go through! i used to have an anger prob in past is hard when hormones are raging everywhere when puberty hits with A.S like volcano going off!!!

i struggle with same fight/battle as your daughter going through it hard hurdle to climb overcome and can overtake everything my anger exploded spirals out of control lasting hours into meltdown make me so tired i feel so bad and guilty afterwards ashamed

i feel the 'reason' behind my anger was puberty ,hormones but also confusion,frustrations and MH probs depression anxiety hiding physical side of anger

anger damages your self esteem which already lowered due to A.S!!! it is difficult to override the anger issues i tried meds from CAMHS pyschs which had no effect on me! has meds been suggested to you for your daughter? i was on risperdal ( risperdal) anti-pyschotic med

has M.H probs been looked into through CAMHS? does she recieve any regular support output from C.A.M.H.S? may just be plain puberty and anger ( mixture)

i have now controlled my anger now but is struggle to change around!

XKLX

Hi, thanks for your reply, she hasn't had any help from camhs for a long time, they just don't understand how she is and yes she has been on medication before, ritalin which didn't help and also anti-depressants which made her hyper! I already use the plastic mattress protectors but they dont work, the mattress still gets wet! I don't expect any help from anyone anymore least of all camhs, I'm sure she'll get better as she gets older or at least thats what I've been telling myself for the past 12 yrs! :-)

Hi and welcome :)

Have you tried the terry towelling topped waterproof mattress protectors? I've had them on our bed since I breastfed and woke up in puddles, and this morning my daughter wet my bed (she still occasionally cosleeps) and there was no problem at all with it going through. I can imagine there's a difference between a 3 year old and a 12 year old wetting the bed but it's worth a try... (We got ours from Dunelm Mill and they do them from cot size up to king size)

Will she wear pull-ups or something similar? Your GP may be able to help you / refer you to someone to provide these.

Is she definitely asleep when she's wetting the bed? Only reason I ask is that I was so bound by rules as a kid that the rule "you do not leave your bedroom after lights out" meant to me I couldn't even leave to go to the bathroom - it was preferable to face the consequences of wetting the bed than breaking the rule, in my head.

Hi and welcome :)

Have you tried the terry towelling topped waterproof mattress protectors? I've had them on our bed since I breastfed and woke up in puddles, and this morning my daughter wet my bed (she still occasionally cosleeps) and there was no problem at all with it going through. I can imagine there's a difference between a 3 year old and a 12 year old wetting the bed but it's worth a try... (We got ours from Dunelm Mill and they do them from cot size up to king size)

Hi yes have tried the terry towelling protectors there not thick enough to hold too much liquid but thanks for your reply :-)

Will she wear pull-ups or something similar? Your GP may be able to help you / refer you to someone to provide these.

Is she definitely asleep when she's wetting the bed? Only reason I ask is that I was so bound by rules as a kid that the rule "you do not leave your bedroom after lights out" meant to me I couldn't even leave to go to the bathroom - it was preferable to face the consequences of wetting the bed than breaking the rule, in my head.

Hiya

I had her in dri-nites for yrs but when she got to about 10 she refused to wear them as they were too much like nappies :-(, I did go to my gp and ask for help as I know the elderly are given help with these kind of problems but I was told there was nothing they could give me on the nhs but I could try the website 'Eric' (way out of my price league!)

She is definately asleep, she is such a heavy sleeper that alsolutely nothing wakes her! although I did wonder at first wether she was wetting because she couldn't get to the toilet in time but she gets upset and angry when she wets. there aren't any consequences for her, I dont make her sort her bed out or change the sheets as she creates so much fuss it's easier to do it myself!

Thanks for your response, I have my fingers crossed that one day she will 'grow out of it' as the doctors say ;-)

Hi Peugeot,

I just wanted to say hello. I am new too - my almost 12 y.o son isn't diagnosed yet, and he doesn't have the bedwetting issues, but he does have so much anger and frustatration. God knows how we'd cope if he had hormonal problems too!! So I feel for you on that.

Diane

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I can understand your daughter's reluctance to wear a nappy at 12 years old, but maybe you can present it as a way for her to maintain her independence and be more grown-up. She can change them herself rather than having to come and tell you she's wet the bed.

My NT daughter had bedwetting issues till she was 8. She was sound asleep when it happened. We used the hippychick mattress protectors - they are brushed cotton and definitely don't leak through. They sit on top of your normal sheet so if she did wet, we could just whip off that top sheet and she could go back to sleep. We use them on my sons bed too - he is still in nappies full time but can leak over night.

HTH

Lynne

Have you tried the spray for up the nose from the docs?, sorry can't think of the name.

Hi, its called Desmopression nasal spray and yep we tried it!, she is on the tablet version now, maximum dose and getting 3-4 dry nights out of 7 :-)

My NT daughter had bedwetting issues till she was 8. She was sound asleep when it happened. We used the hippychick mattress protectors - they are brushed cotton and definitely don't leak through. They sit on top of your normal sheet so if she did wet, we could just whip off that top sheet and she could go back to sleep. We use them on my sons bed too - he is still in nappies full time but can leak over night.

HTH

Lynne

Hi Lynne, thanks for your reply, they sound like the kind of thing I have been using, bed pads that lie on top of the sheet, she's such a fidget in bed though that a few times they haven't done there job lol.

I'm actually thinking about designing my own!!! some kind of waterproof plastic that the mattress can be put in but with air holes on the underneath side to let the mattress breath????!!!

I'm getting desperate, can you tell :-)

Hi Lynne, thanks for your reply, they sound like the kind of thing I have been using, bed pads that lie on top of the sheet, she's such a fidget in bed though that a few times they haven't done there job lol.

I'm actually thinking about designing my own!!! some kind of waterproof plastic that the mattress can be put in but with air holes on the underneath side to let the mattress breath????!!!

I'm getting desperate, can you tell :-)

Do you have the double bed size ones? DD used to fidget a lot and the single ones would just end up in a bundle but the double bed one, laid across the bed rather than up and down seemed to do the trick.

Do you have the double bed size ones? DD used to fidget a lot and the single ones would just end up in a bundle but the double bed one, laid across the bed rather than up and down seemed to do the trick.

Ah, No thats one I hadn't thought about! off to Argos tomorrow then :)

Thanks.

Has she ever had an EEG? Been to the neurologist? Just wondering if epilepsy has been ruled out?

Recommend www.fledglings.co.uk for bed-wetting products and www.turn2us.org.uk for information about possible sources of grants to pay for them. Households with an income under £30,000 in receipt of DLA at middle rate for care can apply to the Family Fund.