Sign in to follow this  
LS2242

Why do I feel so low and scared

Hi everyone.

I have not posted for ages due to various personal reasons. Th lllllllllllWe today got our official diagnosis for our son (10) of aspergersc and a co-morbid of transistory tic disorder. We expected the AS but not the other to be documented.

I don't know why I feel so flat as it was expected but I do. All seems so final and life long. We have made and our

son has made such huge progress in the last few months but now it feels like my world has fallen apart even though nothing has changed since yesterday other than a bit of paper. Does that sound pathetic! It does to me but I can't shake this feeling.

Can transitory tics lead to tourettes syndrome? Will he carry on improving with our support? Will there be more things that become a problem for him? So many questions!

I am scared right now for what the future holds for our son.

Sorry the app for my phone for this has gone strange and posting errors I deleted.

I will post again tomorrow from a pc

>:D<<'> >:D<

I think this is quite a common feeling after getting a diagnosis confirmed. It's impossible to predict the future - any more than you could for any other child and you just have to take it one step at a time. When my daughter was going through a difficult time in her mid teens it was impossible for me to see past that and I assumed things would continue to be the same forever - i.e. bad. But she's moved on since then and if anyone had told me about some of the wonderful things she would be doing six years on, I wouldn't have believed them! Some things will improve for your son, no doubt and some things may become more challenging. But keep an optimistic outlook.

Transitory tic syndrome - that's a new one I haven't heard of. :blink: Focus on the "transitory" bit - sounds as though this is something which will go away in time. Possibly anxiety related? Ask the medics to explain anything which isn't clear to you - sometimes they forget that part!

take care

K x

Hi LS2242,

I think what you're feeling is totally normal and expected, many parents go through similar feelings when they get that piece of paper, it suddenly all feels very official and real. Take it a day at a time for the moment and give yourself plenty of time and space to adjust and let things sink in. Don't try to think too far ahead at this time, it's not possible to find answers to all your questions at the moment, try to hold on to the fact that your lad has made a lot of progress recently and he will continue to do so.

As far as the tics are concerned, I developed facial tics when I was about 11, probably due to anxiety and stress. I was never diagnosed with anything and they never got worse or developed into anything else, so it could be just a phase your son is going through. It's good that it's been recognised and will be monitored, but doesn't mean that he'll definitely go on to develop anything more problematic.

Take care.

~ Mel ~

Hello >:D<<'> >:D<

I can remember having much the same feelings when DS was diagnosed, four years ago now. It is a difficult thing to deal with, even if you do know it is coming. You are bound to have many questions and worries, but as the others have said, it's best to take it one day at a time.

I still have days where it all seems too much, but I try to remember that as long as he's making progress, then that's all that matters right now. If there's one thing that it's taught me, it is to live for today, and enjoy my children.

Take care

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi, it is very normal to go throw a downward mood once the Diagnosis comes because youve been throw a very psychological and emotional process just with the assessments process, it is often said that parents with diagnosis go throw a grieving process so you will be feeling a ray of feelings over the next few months, take it easy, rest as much as possible, take time to digest the news and go with what ever feeling, dont supress it just let go.

There will be reliefe eventually and aceptance however you may feel this even in years to come on the odd days as its all part of achknowledging the difficulties you have in raising a child with special needs.

I would recommend you join a Parents support group for AS and what about attending a Tourettes syndrome support group too, The info I have read on transitory tic disorder it may be a mild form of Tourettes Syndrome but I would research as much as possible so you can access resources, provisions and treatments as soon as possible.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000747.htm

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tics/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Take carexxxx

JsMumx

Edited by JsMum

Thank you everyone. I feel much more at ease now. Just keep telling myself nothing has changed. I still have the same questions but time will tell. Since I last posted he has taken a step back but school are looking out for him.

As for the tics - will wait and see what happens. After looking at the links posted (thank you) and doing more research it is evident it is not a temporary thing (lasts less than a year) he has had them for what I know off a minimum of 3 years already. At the end of the day he is who he is and I love him to bits. His tics and AS are what makes him the person he is.