Sign in to follow this  
BethK

Hi ya :)

Hi Ladies and gents :)

I'm a single mummy to a wonderful 3 and a half year old boy, who was diagnosed with autism in January 2010. It's not been the easiest ride but what part of life is, these days?

My son doesn't talk, be 'baby gargles', barely understands every day actions but the feew he does understand, he has his own way of communicating i.e. if he is hungry, he will go and point to the fridge (if he wants lunch) or the food cupboard (if he wants a snack). His communication is all pointing, which has only developed over the last 3 odd months. We've tried PECs, which he hasn't not taken too but I will try this option again at a later date, I think it's a bit too complicated for him just now. He uses 2 makaton signs, 1 for eating and one for children, the others he never really took too.

He has very aggressive tendecies and I tend to have the bruises and marks to show for it. Can't take him into shops, as he hates crowds and the noise, I do get to take him to soft play areas but only when there are barely any kids around. He takes to men, rather than women, which is becoming a worry as he will be happy enough to walk off with a male stranger. He adores his grandpa :notworthy: he is the only one who can calm my boy down, when he gets into a mood. But over the last year, with the help from the Early Bird course, SEN tutor, educational psychologist, LDT team and homestart, he has made good progress.

His statement is going to panel this week, so fingers crossed it gets accepted as I would love for him to start in the local SEN school, come september.

Sorry for my long post :wacko:

Beth x

Hi BethK, nice to 'meet' you, I am new as well! I think its fab that your boy is pointing to let you know what he wants that is very good, maybe some pecs will really help him :thumbs:

Thank you all xx

I am hoping this week goes well too, it will make the world of difference for him, if we could get him into a SEN school. I love our local primary school but I just don't think a busy environment (like their attached nursery/pre-school) will work for him. His current nursery is fabulous with him, it's a very calming place and he loves it there, it will be sad to take him out of that setting :crying:

We have a behavioral nurse, paying us a home visit Thursday morning. This is in the hopes that she can initiate some form of potty training, so fingers crossed that works too lol

xx