Sign in to follow this  
SSS

Classroom Rules

Classroom Rules,

My son attends a special need school for a variety of mild disabilities including autism my son has high function autism and adhd.

The pupils have came up with classroom rules (ages are 11/12)

No interrupting

No whispering in class

No shouting

No touching other pupils stuff

No fighting

No swearing

No staring

No acts of violence

No mocking

No cheeky answering back

Remember who is staff and who are pupils

No running in building

If you got a problem talk to a member of staff

No fidgeting

No huffs

Following instructions

Take constructive criticism

I believe my son will have problems with the last 4 rules on a daily basis.

I believe the best way to deal with a child with ADHD is to state the positive rather than state the negative,

i.e. Use positive words likewalk, please instead of dont run.

Any thoughts on these rules?

If they break the rules 3 times you lose golden time or playing pool,

But not sure if they are as strict as that.

SSS.

Edited by SSS

It sounds like a good idea to get the students involved in coming up with rules for them all to work towards. Was it the result of a group discussion when they were asked to pitch in their ideas? If so, sounds positive to me. Of course, many of them would be hard to stick to 100%, but it sounds like they've all been involved and asked to think about what would work for them and I think they've come up with some good ideas.

It doesn't say what the penalty is for 'breaking' any of these rules, so maybe it is a casual list to work towards just to get them thinking rather than a very strict list of rules to be obeyed without question.

~ Mel ~

If they break the rules 3 times you lose golden time or playing pool,

But not sure if they are as strict as that

I think this is a really positive thing, and very interesting to see what the young people consider to be important, especially things like 'no mocking', 'no huffs'. It shows they are thinking beyond themselves, and considering others and what is good for a community (their form).

Well done them! :thumbs:

Bid :)

We did this sort of list when I worked in a mainsteam primary school, however, we changed what the kids said from negative to positive, so

"No kicking, and no hitting" became " we have kind hands and feet",

I think involving the kids is an excellent idea, but agree it may be better to phrase things as positives rather than negatives.

We did this sort of list when I worked in a mainsteam primary school, however, we changed what the kids said from negative to positive, so

"No kicking, and no hitting" became " we have kind hands and feet",

I think involving the kids is an excellent idea, but agree it may be better to phrase things as positives rather than negatives.

Sorry, but I think if you have ASD and a literal understanding of languge, you need clear, unambiguous statements like 'no hitting'. I think 'kind hands and feet' could be very confusing to someone with autism...

Bid :)

Edited by bid

I agree Bid.

I was working in the mainstream school, and for those kids it seemed to work OK. In the ASD unit things tending to be shown as a picture (or symbol) crossed out the show NOT to do something (a bit like a no smoking sign on a bus)

I must admit, I do like the "no huffs", maybe I will use that one at home for my husband !