merlin1

anyone had negative ados but think it should be positive

My son aged 12 has had problems since 3 or 4 years of age. Nursery and primary teachers noted this. We took him to gp and was referred to child centre who saw both sons and said nothing wrong. Problems persisted . Yougest son diagnosed through an autism education worker, his behaviour and a paeditrician. It took years. Younger son didnt display things when younger that elder son did. Eldest sons problems got worse going to high school, major anxiety,ocd behaviour type, repeating things constantly from tv,sensitive to noises, fabrics. In fact he displayed sometimes more than younger son. Headbanged when toodler,arm flapped. He got an ADOS test 3 weeks ago. He had building blocks and because he asked for more to finish a model they said an autistic child wouldnt do that, also he showed a caring bit on a social story that they told him. Their results are that he is NOT on the spectrum. I think that he is . Where do I go Now? Still has problems. They say he just has anxiety which I disagree with. Anyone else had the same experience or should I accept it but struggle on? Thanks We are in Moray scotland so there are very little rsources here. This place seemingly is the only way they will diagnose now.

Hi

My son had an ADOS. I was advised that no decision would be based solely on this, but rather old/current reports from various education and healthcare professionals. R sat in a room with an OT who asked him to do various things. He was given a bag containing wooden toys including a house, fire engine, and a little wooden family. R made up a story, but it related in no way to fire/rescue/etc. The OT tried to engage him in conversation, e.g. it was my birthday on Saturday and waited to see if R would pick up on this and ask about presents, cake, etc, but he didn't. The assessment lasted just over an hour and was videoed. Afterwards, R's consultant and OT retired to look back on the footage, looking at eye contact, reciprocal language, etc etc. And so, I know with certainly that R's history was looked at also.

I guess in your son's case, I would be wondering whether the decision was based solely on the ADOS (and if so, how thorough was it) or not. I'd also be inclined to be gathering reports from other professionals, i.e. Headteacher, teacher, etc, which perhaps point to issues. The whole picture must be looked at, however, not sure if that's happened. I guess, if you feel that hasn't happened, I'd be inclined to ask for a second opinion. Given that your other son has a diagnosis, this may in some way add some weight. It certainly sounds worth pursuing. Hang in there. In my son's case, it wasn't an easy road - it was a very long emotionally draining rollercoaster ride!

Caroline.

Hi

I agree with the above. I have four boys,middle two both have ASD diagnosis,however what I would like to say is my other two both have very strong characteristics. My youngest definatley has sensory issues,but he is not ASD. My eldest has above average abilities and talented with art,he is obsessed with dr who and is quite OCD to,but again I know he is not ASD.

I think it is easy to get caught up in the diagnosis process for our kids when one of them already has a diagnosis.I just try and look beyond the obvious, remembering ASD is a triad of impairments. Also to say with both my ASD boys they had signs much early than three years. Not to say its not likely to happen but just to be cautious.

As everyone else has said you are entitled to a second opinion.

Usually the decision is not just based on ADOS - for us ADOS was just a smallpart of a process that included

- physio assessment

- psychologist assessment

- paed assessment

- OT assessment

- SALT assessment

- observations at school

- home visit

We were surrised that M actually fullfilled the criteria for autism (not Aspergers/HFA) on the basis of the test - however her final diagnosis was AS as a result of her results in the other asessment and observations

Hi – I’ve found that my son seems to present as something of an enigma during assessment etc, largely because although he very obviously meets the criteria for the most part, the things that he doesn’t meet – he so doesn’t meet if that makes sense?

For example, he’s the kindest, most affectionate, well behaved, well mannered lad who would not be able to harm a fly if someone had a gun to his head. He’s incredibly cautious and doesn’t think any level of risk is one worth taking and has grasped the concept of sarcastic / dark humour, despite this being a struggle for a while. (I know it’s not something any kid should have to master the art of but sarcastic banter and dark humour is rife in our house – it’s how we are)

Despite having exceptionally bad co-ordination overall (ranked as being on the 1st percentile during the OT’s Movement ABC-2 test), he loves drumming and has managed to suss out how to have his hands work independently from each other. It's bizarre.

He has been assessed by what feels like the world and its wife. Educational Psychology, CAMHS Clinical Psychology, OT, Physio, Paediatrician, Speech and Language etc and they often remark on what they consider “unusual”. I wonder whether this has been what’s caused so much delay to be honest.

The drumming is not bizarre. I can't explain it well but there is some connection with music and ASD.Eldest son AS age 13 can't tie shoe laces, buttons are a problem, cant write well but is grade 5 piano. Youngest son AS age 9 just started guitar and is very careful with it and is picking out notes on the strings and loves putting his ear to it, I think he likes the vibrations. This is the same boy who, went we 1st got the guitar broke it within 24 hours.......