Sign in to follow this  
HollowFingers

So I Went To The Doctor

I had an appointment with my GP yesterday about believing that I have Aspergers, and he said:

- I don't believe you

- I wouldn't want my kids to have it, why would you want it?

- Don't try and get diagnosed because it makes life harder

- You're too old (I am 20)

- I can still refer you if you like

It's not a case of whether I want it or not? It's whether that's what it is, and I would like to know. He was less than helpful apart from offering a referral.

Do his answers seem strange to anyone??? I am quite confused

this is sounds plain igorance you have faced can you not see another doctor maybe instead? so you get heard about situation you are facing and someone takes your worries concerns seriously! somre professionals still 'close their eyes /minds' to AS and not willing to listen to someone saying they think may have it! them

don't just take this doctor's word for it! as sounds like already made there mind up before you even tried to explain what going on for you! sounds frustrating what someone calls you a liar basically! and you know what you going on about as you live everyday! easy to assume/make judgements jump straight away to there answer but need someone who isn't going to dismiss you as soon as start say word AS!

good luck!

XKLX

I had an appointment with my GP yesterday about believing that I have Aspergers, and he said:

- I don't believe you

- I wouldn't want my kids to have it, why would you want it?

- Don't try and get diagnosed because it makes life harder

- You're too old (I am 20)

- I can still refer you if you like

It's not a case of whether I want it or not? It's whether that's what it is, and I would like to know. He was less than helpful apart from offering a referral.

Do his answers seem strange to anyone??? I am quite confused

Hi

Sadly, no these answers don't seem strange. I gave my doctor a list of all the difficulties my son was having and she said "There are thousands of adults like that" and threw it back at me! I just refused to leave until she'd referred him. He has twice been confirmed as absolutely having Asperger's.

It is ignorance. GPs are GENERAL practitioners - they can't know everything no matter how frustrating that is to us. Is there another GP you could see at the same practice who might listen properly to you?

Ignore him and push for referral - that will either confirm it or rule it out, or may find something else is going on - surely a GP can't object to that.

Edited by Mandapanda

Thanks for the replies,

I could tell as soon as I said 'Aspergers' that he totally shut off. He was saying things about how being diagnosed would affect things like trying to get a mortgage etc. and that it would hinder things so it would be better to leave it alone? Does anyone have any experience in having AS affect their applications for anything?

One good thing has come out of your appointment, and that is the offer of a referral. If I were you I would accept the offer.

It's up to you whether you tell people about having Asperger's. There are very few occasions when it's necessary to reveal your medical history. I have never been asked whether I have Asperger's when applying for a mortgage!

It sounds like he was almost trying to scare me out of it. I was surprised he offered a referral, and I will consider it :)

Hi HollowFingers

Let us know how it goes.

Hi

As has already been said, that GP is extremely ignorant. GP's are general practitioners and as such may not have specific areas of expertise – but only general. That's the problem. It must have taken a lot of courage to go to your GP and it's a great shame that you were met with such responses. Might be worth seeing someone else?

Caroline.

I would take the referral. A friend of mine has been asking his GP to send him for an assessment for ADHD and the GP said - 'It doesn't exist in adults'. I know people used to believe that but it is a very out of date concept. He referred my friend anyway who met with a mental health team the other day who said they'd never seen such an obvious case of adult ADHD and couldn't understand how it had been missed for so many years. He started treatment immediately and is feeling much better.

As has been said, GPs only ever have an overview, knowing a little bit about a lot of things. They are not experts in something like ASD so use the GPO to get the referral to the people who ARE the experts. Good luck.