Sign in to follow this  
Frizz

Alton Towers-anyone been this year?

I havent really been on for some time & it almost seems cheeky to post this question!

We are off to Alton Towers tomorrow for DD's annual birthday treat (done it for the past 2 years! lol)I went onto the website earlier so we can plan our route & save our legs & noticed that they have really tightened up the criteria for wristbands & access passes. I wondered if anyone has been yet this year & if so how the changes affected the day?

They will no longer accept DLA letters as proof & it seems they are limiting the amount of times you can use the big rides & also cutting down on who is issued with a wristband/exit pass.

It could be that our day is unaffected or it could mean BIG changes. We've been planning our trip for some time so cant & dare'nt change the venue!

Wish me luck!! :whistle:

Hope it goes okay. :pray:

They wrote to me as I have an outstanding ticket to use explaining that they were changing their access arrangements, but they didn't say how. It's tricky - in some ways I can see it needed to change because there were people there basically taking the **** and laughing about it which made those us of who needed that access really cross. But by changing it, they're penalising against everyone.

They will no longer accept DLA letters as proof.

Did they say what they would accept now?

Have a good day - hope the weather's okay (but not too okay so it's too busy!! Best trip we had there was in the pouring rain and freezing cold when we'd booked in advance and most people had clearly (sensibly) decided to stay home!)

Well we did our day at Alton Towers & all went well :D

The system has changed somewhat & I actually feel it has changed for the better. When you look back at the old system it was open to abuse & there probably were people in reciept of DLA that used the exit pass system because they could & not because they needed to.

Now,you have to provide a letter from your GP or consultant that states that you have difficulty queing/with social skills etc.I took DD's diagnosis letter that states Aspergers & I also took her statement which has a section describing some of her difficulties in social settings.This was more than adequate.

DD was then issued with a red wristband & a card that had to be signed & have a minimum time noted that we had to wait,before we could go on one of the 'big' rides again.

It made the system seem fairer to other users,'tho I still felt a tad guilty waiting to board a ride & seeing how long the ques were!

To ease my guilt,we decided to que 'properly'for a ride as the wait time was only 20 minutes. BIG mistake-I was tearing my hair out by the time we reached the front of the que & to make me feel even more stupid for that bad decision,2 ride attendants saw DD's wristband & said "you dont have to que with a wristband, didnt they tell you that at guest services? You poor thing, no wonder you look stressed!!"

SO,to sumise; If you have an ASD it appears that as long as you have the correct paperwork with you,little has changed & you should have an amazing,fun filled & stress free day. Just dont let guilt get the better of you! :rolleyes: