Utahraptor

Asperger's Films

Couldn't see this anywhere in here. Don't mind me if you've heard this a billion times. Just wondering if anyone had seen any movies about Asperger's or with characters with Asperger's in and how they felt about them.

I've recently taken an interest in watching them out of curiosity. So far, I've only watched 'Adam' starring Hugh Dancy. I thought it was quite a sweet movie and could relate to a lot of it, but Adam did seem a little too far towards the 'Rain Man' side of things at times. Speaking if which, I have a movie called 'Mozart and the Whale' to watch which was written by the guy who did 'Rain Man'. Not watched it yet.

Couldn't see this anywhere in here. Don't mind me if you've heard this a billion times. Just wondering if anyone had seen any movies about Asperger's or with characters with Asperger's in and how they felt about them.

I've recently taken an interest in watching them out of curiosity. So far, I've only watched 'Adam' starring Hugh Dancy. I thought it was quite a sweet movie and could relate to a lot of it, but Adam did seem a little too far towards the 'Rain Man' side of things at times. Speaking if which, I have a movie called 'Mozart and the Whale' to watch which was written by the guy who did 'Rain Man'. Not watched it yet.

Dont know about the other films yet, but Adam was superbly made, lot of insight into it (did you see the alternative / deleted scenes and commentaries? )

It would never be easy to portray a 'cross-section' view of AS, from either NT or AS perspective, because we're all so specific, but i could relate to it.

Actually made me wonder, if Adam is the "emotion-blind" maybe Beth's mum would be somewhat of a "reason-blind" for the fact that she knew about the hubby's affair and never said a word about it?

Considering...i'd guess most NTs would be 50-50 between reason and emotion, but it seems society is more acceptant of those who may "lean" a bit more to the emotional side of things, say 20% reason and 80% emotion, but the opposite is sidelined?

Sandra bullock stared in " all about steve", i felt it portrayed a lot of aspie mannerism, i also wached where the wild things are , the wee boy could be somewhat described as autistic xx

I seem to consider films that portray Aspergers or autism somewhat confusing. I love stories and I like to write screenplays yet could never attempt to write a story about an ASD purely becuase of how difficult it would be. Why? Becuase to me a good drama is just that with the useual (although generalised) format of the start, middle and end, an end that is climactic and which the story is emotionaly tied up and finnished.

Yet how could I write about an ASD when there is never an end to it. How could i interepret my own real life expereinces when a) not only is very confusing for a viewer but bee) there is never real "high drama" and c) there is never an end to it.

As regards watching films i dont bother. I was tempted to get Mozart and the Whale but decided not to bother becuase i didnt se much point in watching an actor trying to convey a situation that to me is very real every single day.

I would give examples but dont have room in this post.

Thanks

Edited by grasco

My Name is Khan is definitely worth watching. I loved it, even though my husband kept saying 'you do that' all the way through the film.

Her name is Sabine - it's a documentary, but amazing.

Temple Grandin - a biopic about the amazing advocate for autism

Snow Cake - fantastic movie and Sigourney Weaver is really good

ive got adam, and were disappointed.

How they portrayed us that because of our ASD, we cant have a relationship. we can prove them wrong, although mine haven't been a success but sure there is plenty out there that has relationship

Speaking if which, I have a movie called 'Mozart and the Whale' to watch which was written by the guy who did 'Rain Man'. Not watched it yet.

Did you watch it yet? I recommend it: Josh Hartnett in particular does a marvellous job of portraying someone who copes very well with most things, has difficulties with - and coping strategies - for some other things, and can go into complete meltdown in response to some things. Parts of it were uncomfortable because it felt like watching me, but it's a very positive film.

Hi

I enjoyed About a Boy - nothing stated, but the boy appears to have autistic traits. It is very endearing.

This is the best of all

Madame Curie,an MGM film from 1943. Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036126/

Nobel prizes for physics and chemistry, she was the most famous woman of her day bar NONE. But even Albert Einstein said that fame never went to her head - and he was certainly qualified to say that.

Edited by dm2010

This is the best of all

Madame Curie,an MGM film from 1943. Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036126/

Nobel prizes for physics and chemistry, she was the most famous woman of her day bar NONE. But even Albert Einstein said that fame never went to her head - and he was certainly qualified to say that.

What evidence is there that Marie Curie was autistic?

What's that movie called where the guy with autism gets bullied and he gets help to fake his death on a ferry so the bullies feel ashamed? I saw it a long time ago. Remember it being such a good movie.

What's that movie called where the guy with autism gets bullied and he gets help to fake his death on a ferry so the bullies feel ashamed? I saw it a long time ago. Remember it being such a good movie.

That's Ben X I was writing aboutin the post above!

Dunno if Forest Gump was.

There was a discussion in one other thread about that. According to the book, he was. And it's "Forrest".

Edited by Shnoing

But seriously,

Speaking as an 'Aspie' I find films that attempt to portray Aspergers/Asd incredibly annoying.

I personally prefer to try identify characters un-disclosed personality traits in films.

I also try to transfer this to real life.

I read ' The Psychopath test' by 'Jon Ronson ' and started to think about some current Government Ministers and the G.P's at my local surgery.

Do you think that I may have some difficulty separating fact from fiction?

The new Terry Gilliam film "The Zero Theorem", the main character exhibits aspie traits.

A couple of classic lines from the movie that I found myself identifying with (note: he talks in a plural context when referring to himself for some reason):

"We fear parties, we never quite know where to stand"

"We always wanted to feel different, unique, objective analysis however concluded that we're as inconsequential as anyone else, we are but one in many single worker bee's in a vast swarm subject to the same imperatives as billions of others, we dulled our discontent, in alcohol, drugs, sex"

On the whole it's not a brilliant movie but it's got some really good imagery, a brilliant social commentary on the state of society and some scenes that I personally enjoyed, it's worth a watch.