Sign in to follow this  
NickyB

Words Fail Me ....

Dreadful people! They should all be fired, if they were poking fun at people because of race or religion there feet wouldnt touch the ground.

I do sometimes wonder about the people who inhabit this planet.

I hear about this, absolutely disgusting.

Horrible, horrible stuff, and glad it's been exposed and stopped...

BUT. Being the horrid old cynic I am there's two further aspects of it I'd have liked the story to reveal; were the children exclusively disabled, and how long did the 'disgusted, sick to the stomach' whistleblower accept the situation before they acted and why?

As far as the first goes, my concern is to do with 'sensationalism' and the old, old problem of media representation of disabled people as stereotypes. If they were the only victims in this case, it's absolutely right to present them exclusively as 'victims', but if there were other children who were non-disabled but aestethically 'unfortunate' involved then it should be reported as such...

The second one is more complex, because while the whistle-blower was absolutely right to blow the whistle it adds a completely different dimension to it if it was done for personal gain, or revenge, or spite and he/she was blowing the whistle on a 'culture' of vindictiveness that he/she had previously contributed too. From the newspaper report, this chart had been on the wall for a minimum of 6-7 months, and while it may be that the whistleblower just felt too intimidated to speak up I know human nature well enough to know that there are often much more selfish reasons behind these kind's of noble gestures.

Anyhoo. Horrible stuff, and hope a few butts get kicked at Kingshill rather than a single scapegoat.

L&P

BD

Hi BD :)

I did notice that it said in the article that they had chosen photos of children who 'looked different' to poke fun at. That doesn't mean they are necessarily all disabled, so I think there may at the least have been some assumptions made about that.

I must admit I did wonder why it took so long for someone to say something. I'm absolutely sure that if it had been me, I would have immediately removed the photos and 'blown the whistle' straight away. One wonders where the 'management' were?

As you say, though, none of that makes it any less horrible :angry:

Really dreadful that this was seen as a 'fun' thing to do.

I hope all parties involved are fully dealt with and not just the one person who is currently suspended.

L x

I think it is very hard for someone to blow the whistle on their work colleagues, however inappropriate the behaviour has been because that whistle blower will suffer because of it. That happens everywhere eg. nurses losing their jobs because they "shopped" a consultant etc.

And regardless of whether the children were disabled or not (and if this happened in the "transport department" it is likely that all the children had special needs to be known by them) it simply should not have happened.

What I hate more than anything is that the person who instigated it has been suspended. But what about all the other people who joined in or did nothing. The Catholics have the "sin of omission" ie. failing to do something when you could.

School transport is not necessarily just for diasbled pupils but whoever the children were, is irrelevant really. Would it have been more acceptable if they were "ordinary kids?" What if they were very pretty young teen girls? There might be an altogether different kind of enquiry going on. :wacko:

Whistleblowing usually applies when someone witnesses dubious practices which are happening largely in secret - I'm not sure it would apply here when the misconduct was blatantly out in the open - there would be so many ways to bring it to the manager's attention, or simply rip the pictures up and bin them when everyone's out the office - how brave do you have to be to do that? :wallbash: It's hard not to conclude that those who knew about it conspired to do nothing. :wacko:

K x