Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

AS in Britain

When was AS first known about in Britain? I have been verbally informed that the paper by Hans Asperger wasn't translated into English until 1991. Has there been any research or investigations prior to this into AS or similar conditions?

Aspergers was known to the mental health services (although information was very scant to say the least) in the early 1980s

- this from a clinical psychologist (in adult mental health services) who informed me that it was mentioned in her training at that time

Zemanski

The Neurologically atypical in general tend to have a higher susceptibility to mental illness, so charities try to highlight them to insure that services are adequetely provided. Doesn't actually work out that way though.

why is AS and ASD talked about in relation to mental health services - they are not  mental health conditions.

It is dealt with by mental health professionals-pyschiatrists and pyschologists,I think partly because it relates to the mind as well as physically,thus we wrongly get labled as mentally ill by ignorant people.

Edited by TuX

another reason is that in adults the first presentation someone with undiagnosed AS is likely to make to a doctor is with depression or possibly schizophrenic type symptoms which are always referred to mental health so mental health does need to know in order to refer on or provide appropriate treatment/care/support

our local adult support group is trying to persuade mental health, PCTs and learning disability services to work together on providing AS specific services and our most hopeful channel is through mental health who will probably have to take AS on board with the changes to their regulations so are showing more willing. The others are only really interested in awareness so far - mostly they don't want to take on something that they have to fund if they don't have to!

Learning disability rules actually exclude AS on the grounds that they have average and above learning abilities in the areas they use as measures - social learning is not counted.

Zemanski

Thanks for the comments - AS specific services is what is needed but its just funding these things - without these specific services people who don't have any knowledge (even some family) can be ignorant and quite dangerours (that just my personal experience - wish it wasn't like that for me, most for my friends with children since finding out Jamies diagnosis have not contacted me again, they just cant cope with it)

Aspergers was known to the mental health services (although information was very scant to say the least) in the early 1980s

- this from a clinical psychologist (in adult mental health services) who informed me that it was mentioned in her training at that time

Zemanski

My father is a registered mental nurse and (claims he) has in depth knowledge of psychology and psychiatry of adults, although he is somewhat weaker when it comes to child psychology. Apparently he knew nothing about AS until I told him about it last year.

I am 99.999% sure that I suffer from AS, and barely a term went by at school during the second half of the 1980s before seeing a doctor or a psychologist and none of them had a clue what was wrong with me. My father has contacts in the psychiatric profession and nobody there had any explanation either.

I find it quite surprising that virtually no research into AS ever took place in Britain before the paper by Hans Asperger was translated into English.

A few months ago I discussed AS with a retired headmaster who had been interested in the condition since the 1960s. He tried to publish a few papers in education journals during the 70s and 80s about kids he knew who had obsessive interests often in conjunction with behavioural problems and poor performance at school. His conclusion was that there was a new and quite rare psychological condition, but sadly the papers were rejected by the editors as describing one off cases or kids who were just downright wayward.