Kathryn

Is anyone else waiting to be fleeced for Olympic tickets

I applied for Olympic tickets the day before the deadline a couple of weeks ago. I applied for a range of events - about 24 tickets in all at the lowest prices and mostly stuff my son would want to go to, because I thought if I went for a spread I'd have a better chance of getting at least something. I have technically spent about £450 - which I can just about manage although I would prefer not to spend that much so I'm hoping - like a lot of people I expect - that I won't get all the tickets I asked for! According to a Which report one woman has potentially spent £22 000!! :o .

Trouble is, Visa will take the money first and then tell you a few weeks later what you've actually got. I think it would be better if they first told you which events you had been successful in and gave you the option to accept or reject the tickets. That's what they do at Wimbledon. Until I know, I have to do a delicate balancing act to keep enough money in my account just in case - as they could take anything between £0 and £450. It's like gambling and I don't gamble!

Anyone else in this position? What did you apply for?

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I applied for Olympic tickets the day before the deadline a couple of weeks ago. I applied for a range of events - about 24 tickets in all at the lowest prices and mostly stuff my son would want to go to, because I thought if I went for a spread I'd have a better chance of getting at least something. I have technically spent about £450 - which I can just about manage although I would prefer not to spend that much so I'm hoping - like a lot of people I expect - that I won't get all the tickets I asked for! According to a Which report one woman has potentially spent £22 000!! :o .

Trouble is, Visa will take the money first and then tell you a few weeks later what you've actually got. I think it would be better if they first told you which events you had been successful in and gave you the option to accept or reject the tickets. That's what they do at Wimbledon. Until I know, I have to do a delicate balancing act to keep enough money in my account just in case - as they could take anything between £0 and £450. It's like gambling and I don't gamble!

Anyone else in this position? What did you apply for?

K x

I did apply - almost as soon as the website was open - but only for the tickets I actualy want to buy!!!

why apply for tickets you don't really want? If you realy want to see a specific event, apply for tickets to that. If you're not too bothered, apply for what you'd like best and wait for the second round to get others if necessary.

I haven't applied for any tickets, but I live near Box Hill where the cycle races will be taking place and I'm hoping to go and watch something there.

I applied, but just for my daughter and I as my hubby has no interest in the Olympics and L wouldn't cope with any of it. We only wanted to see a few things so we've applied for the second price tier for Gymnastics and synchronised swimming as that's what she wanted to see. They both have the child prices though so if we get both, it'll only come to around £90 so it's fine.

I have friends though who have applied for thousands of pounds worth - there are six in her family though and they've applied for 5 or 6 things.

I do think its a very silly way of doing it though - there must be a simpler easier way. You can ofc sell them back but it just seems like a faff.

Lynne

Edited by Lynden

why apply for tickets you don't really want? If you realy want to see a specific event, apply for tickets to that. If you're not too bothered, apply for what you'd like best and wait for the second round to get others if necessary.

I did go for the ones I - or my son - wanted most and would be happy to see all of them if we got them. However I would have selected fewer if I could have been certain of getting them. A question of cash flow and not knowing exactly how much money is going to be taken out of my account or when. I'm not usually so haphazard in the management of my finances. Also have other things to pay for in the next couple of weeks so it's bad timing! Oh well...

K x

We've had nothing to date either, but I applied for swimming and gymastics and I think they have smaller arenas anyway. I only know two of my friends that have gotten one of what they applied for (deducted from the money taken from their account).

Lynne

Well I've apparently had £81 taken from my account so I know I've got something, but no idea what as I applied for about 10 events. I must have got at least a pair of tickets for 2 events. I think I have to wait another 3 weeks to find out!

K x

I've still not had any money taken - getting a bit concerned now - I was sure the Judo heats would be under-subscribed :unsure:

Don't really understand the heading to this topic.

Its purely optionally whether you apply for tickets or not. Most sporting event are priced way outside of what I can afford.

As far as the olympics are concerned there are a few events that I would have consider but the cost of overnight stay (to far to travel there and back in a day) would put the whole idea of attending way out off the question.

Ummm... not sure what the issue is with the topic - I was just curious to know whether others were in the same position, that's all! Was meant to be a fairly light hearted winge!

K x

Its the use of the word "fleeced". To me at least it implies either a hidden coat that you had no knowledge of at the start of a transaction, or an unjustified high cost for something you have no option than to buy.

The sale of the tickets for the Olympics meet nether of these.

But then perhaps I was taking this post to seriously.

Take your point Chris. :)

But the dictionary definition of "fleeced" is "obtain an unfair amount of money from". A more everyday synonym might be "ripped off". Compulsion doesn't come into it.I think the point I was trying to make was that the whole system is unfair as it takes advantage of peoole's natural inclination to want to secure a seat at the event of a lifetime, by creating a sitution where people feel compelled to gamble more than they ordinarily would, or can actually afford, in order to increase their chances of getting tickets.

But yes, you're absolutely right, it's a choice and those of us who got into this ridiulous system didn't have to do it! :) Ah well I'm lucky I've escaped lightly. Now I wait to see what tickets I actually got - watch this space!

K x

I didn't apply for any Olympic tickets because as of June 2011 I was unemployed and I didn't know where I was going to be a year hence. Plus ça change.