Sign in to follow this  
kwjd

Melatonin Q

My son has been on melatonin 2mg since the 9th may so not long but its working like a charm, he is asleep aprox an hr after taking it. Which has been great as i have been able to go to bed before midnight which I have never been able to do in 5yrs.

I have been keeping a sleep diary and my son is waking up very early from 5am. Is this normal for kids on melatonin the Dr said if its not working after two weeks to up the dose to 4mg. Would this help him stay asleep longer..? I know its to help him wind down which is working, but the waking early is not helping as he is still not getting enough sleep. any suggestions please??? many thanks

Melatonin is processed quite quickly by the body. It sounds like it is working, or at least it is doing what it is intended to do - helping your son get to sleep in the first place.

You can get slow-release Melatonin which might help your son stay asleep by remaining in the body longer. Might be worth asking the doctor about this.

Thanks for that I did think it was the slow release version of them. but I guess not