Sign in to follow this  
shacks

Arapiprazole

Does anyone have any experience with this drug who can give me some feedback ? My son is 10 years old and had A.S.D, mood depression and high anxiety levels. He was taking respiridone, but they changed it as he was gaining too much weight. This new medication he is taking is really knocking him for six. Was just wondering if this will change as it gets into his system or not. I dont really want him like a zombie :tearful:

hi- my 13 yr old son was on this for a short while but had to be taken off it as he developed muscle jerks(dont want to scare you ,as everyones different)- however when we stopped it we noticed how much brighter he was again. he too has asd ,depression and high anxiety- doctor bis now going to try risperidone!!!

Thanks alot. Just to point out, my son was taking respiridone for 1 month. The weight gain is tremendous just to warn you. He gained half a stone in 1 month. The risk of increased appetite is very high with respiridone.

i also was on risperdal (risperdone) i blame the meds going through puberty the cause of my weight gain just piled on due to increaseed hunger so eat more loads i'm trying to lose it now so hard to get the weight off so easy to put it on! the side effects wasn't pointed out really by C.A.M.H.S!

XKLX

hi again - have appt to see camhs doctor next week about meds. my son desperately needs help with his anxiety and as i said before- abilify wasnt a success. he is underweight so perhaps weight gain wont be so much of a problem - it is so worrying . are there any other alternatives ,does anyone know??

Other people's experiences are useful but don't base your decision entirely on what other people say - discuss it with your medical team. Reactions to drugs can differ and a doc or psychiatrist would be monitoring it closely and adjusting the dose if necessary.

Weight gain is a known side effect of Respiridone - I know someone who put on some weight - about 2 clothes sizes - but lost it rapidly when they stopped taking it. The side effects have to be weighed up against the benefits - in this person's case, the improvement to mental health oughtweighed the weight issue.

Shacks - sorry this has gone a bit off topic - I don't know the drug you mention. Maybe the dosage needs to be reduced if it's knocking him out. My daughter had a similar response to an antidepressant called Amytriptylene.

K x