Sign in to follow this  
mungar

melatonin

Hi All

My 7 yr old grandson was given Liq Melatonin 1mg/ml KidNaps brand for Insomnia. He is Aspergers/Torette's.Anxiety/ADHD. We live in Australia and are needing to find out how we can obtain this brnd of melatonin as the compound med the chemist has given us here isn't as effective and we have heard we can import it from the UK.Could someone please advise if this is true and if so how do we go about ordering.

Thanks

Noeleen

Hi Noeleen,

I'm not entirely sure how you can get it, but you do need to be very careful here. Increasing Melatonin artificially can cause a tolerance build up over time, meaning that you grandson will require higher and higher dosages, it can also affect natural Serotonin (Melatonin is created by the body breaking down Serotonin), which can cause serious problems like depression.

For many – myself included, Insomnia is a natural part of Aspergers Syndrome, and it is always better to find non medical alternative to overcome or control the problem. Often managing to focus the mind on one task, such as reading helps the situation a lot.

Hi Noeleen,

I'm not entirely sure how you can get it, but you do need to be very careful here. Increasing Melatonin artificially can cause a tolerance build up over time, meaning that you grandson will require higher and higher dosages, it can also affect natural Serotonin (Melatonin is created by the body breaking down Serotonin), which can cause serious problems like depression.

For many – myself included, Insomnia is a natural part of Aspergers Syndrome, and it is always better to find non medical alternative to overcome or control the problem. Often managing to focus the mind on one task, such as reading helps the situation a lot.

I wouldn't go as far as saying someone should not use melatonin as it has worked wonders for our son, it was prescribed for him by his consultant taking all factors into consideration. It is generally considered to be pretty safe for most people.

The short answer to the original question is that melatonin is prescription-only in the UK and cannot legally be sold by mail order. In the USA melatonin is a freely available drug sold 'over the counter' and can probably be mail ordered.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

I wouldn't go as far as saying someone should not use melatonin as it has worked wonders for our son, it was prescribed for him by his consultant taking all factors into consideration. It is generally considered to be pretty safe for most people.

The short answer to the original question is that melatonin is prescription-only in the UK and cannot legally be sold by mail order. In the USA melatonin is a freely available drug sold 'over the counter' and can probably be mail ordered.

Simon

I'm sure it has, it is the hormone that actually induces sleep. However the side affects do need to be considered. Other problems it can cause include changes to the immune system, retina damage and changes to the reproductive system, especially in pubescent children. All in all hormonal therapies for children are a bad idea; the consequences can be very unpredictable.