Sally44

Tried to save a mouse and got bitten for my efforts!

We have a dog flap for our jack russell and the cat.

Our cat keeps catching mice and bringing them as presents.

I've just tried to rescue another one that the cat's just bought in.

I managed to catch it and thought i'd saved it. But then it bit me and I dropped it and the jack russel killed it.

I've caught many mice before and have never been bitten. Can they carry any horrible diseases I should know about??

I have this happen a lot (don't you just love cats?) :thumbs: I don't ever worry about it, but if you are, then you could ask your GP if your tetanus booster/injection is up to date - other than that people generally don't catch much from briefly handling a mouse (I'm assuming you washed your hands!) :lol:

Should we be more sorry that you got bitten or that the poor little mouse, who was probably having a nice enough day, got grabbed by a cat, dragged through a cat flap, grabbed by a human, dropped, and then killed by a jack russell..... hmmm.... I'm leaning towards the mouse ;)

You could always borrow my jack russell, he wouldn't have even noticed it, if we play ball you have to throw it in the direction you think he's going to run or he doesn't see it, he doesn't like being followed by people and has to stop to let them pass, he won't accept treats from strangers, or steal food, and in the day he won't eat without an audience and at night he eats in secret - and I thought I was weird :wacko:

Edited by darkshine

If you got bitten and it broke the skin you should definitely check that your tetanus is up to date and if not they'll recommend you have it done. My hamster bit me a few years back and I had to have tetanus done.

so much for trying to do the right thing hey? :D

Lynne x

Edited by Lynden

Well, i'm still alive today!!

Regarding Tetanus, I seem to remember having a conversation with a nurser and she said that once you had had a certain number of boosters that you didn't need to have a Tetanus injection again.

I'm just fed up of getting these presents of lluuuuvvvv from my cat. She must think I need feeding up. I can always tell by her voice when she has bought something in.

The other morning something really gross happened. The night before I had heard my cat making the usual "I've caught a mouse" noise, and made a mental note to seek out dead mouse in the morning. When I got the kids up for school I told them to do a search. Nothing found.

Anyway, my daughters friend always calls at our house before school. She came in and sat down on the armchair. When she got up to leave, a dead mouse was stuck to her school trousers. Oh the shame!!

Now i'm a bit worried because last night I was feeling very unwell and sick like I had flu. I took my temp and it was 39.8.

I googled about diseases spread by mice, and it seems to say that Lymes disease (which is the only disease I can find) is spread by tics and not an actual mouse bite.

It may just be coincidence, but am a bit worried now. :unsure:

It probably is a coincidence. Lyme disease is only from ticks and not directly from a mouse bite. If you'd caught an infection from the bite it would have started around the wound.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

My top tip on this: don't google diseases.......

I am not a doctor but I also think it is unlikely that you got Lyme disease from the mouse bite.

:rolleyes:

If you feel really unwell to the point that you think seeing a GP is necessary then make an appointment.

In my humble opinion, I think maybe the worry over this is making you feel worse and if it becomes too much then easing your mind over the tetanus and your worries might justify a trip to the docs - no point worrying yourself sick!

:thumbs:

I did the same thing when I was about four or five - grabbed a mouse that the cat had caught and it turned and sank its gnashers into my hand. I still have vivid memories of it - the main one being not so much the physical pain as the sense of betrayal. :rolleyes:

Still alive today 21 years later - give or take ;):D and none the worse for wear - arguably.

Hope you're a bit better today Sally - if not, go and see your doc for reassurance. :)

K x

The method I was taught for trapping a mouse is to put a glass over it and then slide a coaster underneath. Don't ever pick it up by its tail.