Sign in to follow this  
Thames

Melatonin-how to get it prescribed?

Hi

My son [8] was diagnosed with ASD at the begining of march.

He doesnt sleep much, it takes him a long time to 'drop off' he is often awake until 1am not always as late but never before 10pm and on average its about 11:30pm-12am that he goes to sleep.

He typically wakes up 2-3 hours later and will either start doing stuff but as i sleep light [because i have to!] i get him to come into my bed and he usually goes back to sleep for a couple of hours.

I have been reading on forums about the use of Melatonin and i think it could possibly help my son sleep better? [and give me some more sleep...pleeeease give me some more sleep! :wallbash: ]

I am used to this pattern now and cope on very little sleep, i do find the broken nights tiring but thankfully im able to function on not as much sleep as you are meant to have probably as i have no choice!

I just think that maybe he will feel better if he gets a proper sleep? despite him not getting much sleep he is always on the go i just think maybe if hes getting better sleep he'll find it easier to concentrate in the daytime?

So...how do i go about getting him a prescription for Melatonin? does it have to be prescribed by his paediatrician or the GP?

It has to be prescribed by his paediatrician - as far as I'm aware GPs can't prescribe it in the UK. We use it for my son from time to time to get him. He doesn't need it all the time but can struggle dropping off to sleep if he's anxious and it definitely helps. Unfortunately it doesn't keep him asleep (slow release isn't an option because he wont take a tablet).

Lynne

i hoping to go to my docs and ask for prescription of melatonin i don't see pyschtrist anymore discharged from adult MHT so where do i go to get this help with my sleep probs? i'm 21 years old!

XKLX