grasco

Its Hello from me...

Hello people!

I though i would come here and say hi as i have just sorted my login details as i registered some time ago.

I cant remember if i did say hi when i rgistered properly so im saying hi now!

Im 28, male and self diagnosed myself with AS over ten years ago. In that time i have very little to do with online comunities or forums as i find them a bit intimidating when there always seems to be so many members and the quite find myself being ignored.

Anyway Im sure noone wants to be bored here by my special interest as im sure people will get know that sort of thing over time but hopefully i can settle down here with a nice, freindly, AS forum.

Thanks.

Yeah im going through a Beach boys/Brian Wilson/Folk Rock/1966/Pet Sounds phase which is a new one for me but im enjoying it!

Im 28, male and self diagnosed myself with AS over ten years ago. In that time i have very little to do with online comunities or forums as i find them a bit intimidating when there always seems to be so many members and the quite find myself being ignored.

Anyway Im sure noone wants to be bored here by my special interest as im sure people will get know that sort of thing over time but hopefully i can settle down here with a nice, freindly, AS forum.

Thanks.

Hello, I don't think many people like being ignored when they say something that requires an answer or response... I know I don't...

So you were quite young when you reached this conclusion about AS? I wish I'd have known sooner (was diagnosed a little while ago and am 30) I wonder whether it makes any difference knowing sooner (still going through a "what if" stage myself)....

What's your special interest? The way you said about it makes me wanna know :lol:

My interests cycle, I get totally obsessed by "the next thing" :rolleyes:

I'm relatively new to forums, this is the first, and only one I've joined, ever, for anything. I still do not have a concrete opinion about forums though, if someone had asked me what I thought, every day I used the forum, they would have got a different answer every single day.

Good luck

Darkshine

I always go through phases of interests.

Im not a computer or technical person like i know many AS people are, im rather a dramatic, story-telling sort that likes to always look at the overall story side of an event.

Example: People i know are into cars and will go on about the technical or performance side of things but to me the excitment is in how the car came about in the first place or the history of it so if they go on about a hothatch (for example) i wont look at the car, the badge or the performance. Instead i look at the impact the hothatch had in the overall history of the automobile and its effect on people.

Another would be my music taste. I listen to very little besides the Beatles and to me the overwhelming drama of the beatles story and the drama is just as good to me as the actuall music.

Nearly everything i like has to connect to me as if its a wonderful, dramatic part of history and it is a story that has to be told or dramatised.

But my actuall interests are all sorts such as old ships, Titanic, Deloreans, john delorean, military history, trains, engineering history..... and on and on and on lol

PS Im not into hothatches, Hotrods instead!

I'm the same as many of the other posters,I'd track the history and development of technologies and all its supporting background,like the social and political forces that have helped create the technologies,like ships,cars ,aeroplanes,engines,electricity,all very geeky.It seems some people with ASD prefer to be fixated on one or two subjects and this is seen as a symptom of Aspergers but I think single track interests are much rarer and most ASD'ers can marvel at most subjects ,particulary technological ones.While many of us feel very 'different'than so called normal people and are aware how this disability affects us ,we tend to forget the fantastic positives it gives us.I think that most of the great inventors and artist/musicians/creative people clearly show symptoms of asd 's and in fact society would be a medieval and boring place without us.The trick is getting the fantastic positives to work for us in our daily lives so if you are good at one subject then have faith and embrace it as nature knows what it's doing.I'm 48 and only just beginning to accept what a fantastic mechanic/film producer and musician I am,after spending most of my life feeling trapped and alienated by asd.Trust yourself ,those crazy thoughts and obsessive analysis are actually creative brilliance and unobtainable to the general 'normal' population.Dont be shy ,express it as this is the only way we can educate others and bring out the best of asd disabilities.

First of all Charlotte: Im from Somerset, lived here all my life.

And Philipo: Thank you for your inspiring words, they go a long way. And talking of being creative one thing i like to do is write screenplays. I know all the other technical stuff you need to have qualifications and hands on experiance and need to know people in the business when it comes to films and film production but am still fascinated by it all but i found screenwriting is the one thing that i can interpret my interests into and my love of story telling.

And it doesnt cost a fortune. Just a lot of agony of deciding to write and when i do my mind shuts down.

I have a few ideas yet to be developed but im making sure i stick to just one main project which isnt finished yet but has been quite developed but its tying it all up and sorting out all the scenes, charachters, progression etc etc.

When it comes to screenwriting i prefer to stick to real events as i think history is full of little dramas and events that havnt been developed.

Hello and welcome, :)

I like good music too. I discovered Gerry Rafferty only a few years ago and he immediately became my favourite. I can listen to his songs many times and never tired or bored.

Just do it Grasco,the ability to visulise and hear and anticipate the dialouge for screen writing is a perfect example of an asd ability.It uses the internal visulisation to 'set the scene'.Read stuff by Edward Dymetrek,a 50's B movie screenwriter,you'd be amazed to discover how your creative thoughts (and how to write them down!) correlate with actual screen production.You dont need qualifucations to knock out a good script.A film is made up of a collection of scenes ,all in aline LEFT TO RIGHT,each scene has to glue together to keep the continuity of the story, if you do a screenwrite then just send it to a film company ,you've nothing to lose except your time and postage and if they refuse your film then at least the next one you do will be even better.The need to un derstand the pattern of how things fit together is a common thing in asd'rs trying to make sense of the world ,its also a prime qaulity of screnwriting. And thanks for compliment,p.s. Sorry Tanya52 the great Gerry Rafferty died last month,he's an obvious Asd job who preferd to work alone mostly.

I'm a completly self taught musician n filmaker ,you can see the rough results at Youtube/ERASMUS320,not an advert,just realise you need to get this creative stuff out,when others give you positive feedback it turns the daily feelings of asd hell into a recongition of what gifts we've been given,'normals get very envious of our so called 'gifts',not understanding the fustration and torment of asd.

Edited by philipo

Hi Grasco - nice to meet you!

I'll not try to join in this conversation since I don't really understand it! That may be because my obsessive interest is different varieties of Japanese Maple trees!

But good to meet you anyway - in my experience this is a warm and friendly place to hang out.

welcome,

i am from east sussex but living in essex at present as at university there. i am a 31 year old female was diagnosed aged 25 but self diagnosed before that. I have many interests and do like computers, but doing things that are creative i really enjoy.

Thank you everyone for making me feel so welcome.