Sign in to follow this  
lisa35

tourettes/risperidone

Hi, our son is 15 and has diagnosis of Aspergers/Tourettes

The tics are severe at present-several facial grimaces, movement of his arm and a grunting noise, he is struggling so much and his outbursts in class are out of control because he is so stressed.

things are at crisis stage, no loner managing in lessons, urgent counselling is arranged.

to cut a long story short he wants to try risperidone , has anyone any experiance of this, I know potential side effects, but he is desperate

Please tell me these teenage years get better, hubby and I up til 0400 this am talking as its the only chance we get

Hes awake til 1130 most nights and with us 24/7-apart from school

Thanks

Lisa x

You could try it for a week or two just enough to destress him a bit .i used it for two weeks then stopped because i felt drunk and wobbled when i walked,the main benefit for me was to get back into a regular sleep pattern after months of stress.Its used for a wide variety of asd/mental health conditions.

My son has been on it for 3 years, I wish he wasnt, but without it life is impossible, sometimes its impossibe with it!! but with it at least he and us can cope most of the time, so I would say give it a try for def.

If you do agree to try risperidone there would have to be blood tests first anyway, then the dose is set at a level to meet your sons weight and height, for people who feel drunk and wobbly could of been due to a higher dose, also the drug relaxes muscles, if your son has been tense and anxious for a long periods of time the reliefe will be emense and so you may get that drunk, wobbly feeling, we were going to give my son his in the evenings so he would of been asleep and not up and about walking.

my son was given a prescription for Risperidone but he refused to take it, so half your battle is getting your child to except it and actually take it.

My son was also prescribed Prozac which he has agreed to take and happily takes and this has helped his anxiety levels, from what I know about Tourettes its made worse by anxiety, so maybe also look at treatmemts that reduce Anxiety.

Risperidone is used a short term treatment for a period of six weeks, if the person is benefiting from the medication it can be given for longer periods, you could try it for a week and see how it goes, the most common side effect is Weight gain and maybe feeling emotional a bit more, and it does relax the musclesx hence we were going to give Js during the night.

If things are a crisis point then for short term medication can be a life saver.

JsMumxx

Edited by JsMum