Sign in to follow this  
Dijac

Concert?

Hi,

My son is about to turn 12. He is really into music, and keeps telling me Brittany Spears will be in concert about an hour away later this year - and wouldn't it be great to go. I have never been to a top concert (not sure if you can count Shawaddywaddy at a dinner/concert venue). Would it be too loud, too many people etc? Or would his excitement at going make it ok? He is sort of up and down with crowds - on a good day, it's ok, and on a bad day, not!!

I would go with him of course, but I'd hate to spend lots of money then have to dash out after the first song.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance, Di

The only way you are going to find out for sure is to go and see what happens. Yes it would be a terrible waste if he cannot cope and you have to leave, but it would be a wasted opportunity if you don't give it a go. I would recommend you try it now while he's still young enough to go with you. If you wait until he is old enough to go to a concert with his friends, it could be terribly embarrassing if he can't cope.

It is going to be extremely loud and crowded. But his excitement may well outweigh any anxiety about crowds. Some ear plugs could help drown out some of the noise.

I would make sure you get a seat. That way you are garunteed your own space to sit/stand in. If you are standing it can be a bit of a free-for-all. If you have a seat then you don't have to arrive early and queue for a good spot.

Agree with Tally - you wont know till you try. My son hate it, but my friends son loves going to live shows and sits enthralled through the whole thing. Just be prepared to take a hit on the cost of the tickets if he can't cope. I think if you are willing to do that then it's fine. You could always ask to be seated in the disabled area too which makes access/leaving a lot easier.

Lynne

Hi Di, :)

When I go to the local theatre to see musicals I try to sit as far as possible from the stage. The laud music can be very shocking or upsetting experience.

can you get hold of some concert dvd's put them on with ear phones and loud and show him all the people in the crowds? are there any pop concerts or a local disco you can take him to to give him an idea of what a music concert would be like? I got mine to see the Singing Kettle before he went to the christmas panto with the school when he was 5,to give him a theatre experinence . Preparation is often the key to a successful outcome.

I took my 15 year old who was then 12 to a Take That concert a few years ago he was excited about going and kept nagging me to take him. We got off to a bad start as we went into the venue only to find we couldn,t leave again he had had no food and is very faddy and didn,t like any of the food on offer. The minute it started i regretted taking him he sat really quiet all the way through it, looked very bored and showed no excitement at all. On reflection he was overwhelmed by the whole experience and blocked it out so he could cope. He said afterwards he enjoyed it but didn,t ask to go again the next time they toured. He doesn,t really like take that though and maybe the sight of his hysterical mother was what was too much for him.

He also went to see Fame Academy all together a much smaller thing when he was about 7 and asked to leave at the interval he sat all the way through with his hands over his ears.

Thanks for your answers. I will check into the venue to see if there is seating. We are supposed to be seeing someone to discuss if it is a good idea for him to be registered as having a disability or not - maybe then we could get disabled seats. The ear plugs are a good idea too. We have been to small discos on holiday, the last couple of times he has hated it - but he'd had no-one to hang out with, so that was an issue too. He does, on the other hand, listen to music quite loud with head phones.

So first things first, I will look into the venue.

Thanks again, Di

My DS really loved Keane so we all (him, mum,dad + 2 big sisters) went to see them at the 02 Dome.(he was about 11 at the time) It was very loud but he coped as he liked the music (I think that's why)and we had seats. He sat with his sisters who chatted to him which also helped to keep him calm and fortunately he really enjoyed it. I think a seat is a must. We've been to a couple of things since, he's been ok, again seated.

I think it's a good idea to try it out, as long as you don't mind too much if you have to leave early. If you go I really hope you both enjoy it and have fun! :thumbs:

Even if the venue is standing only, if you let them know that you need seats then by law they have to provide them for you. I really enjoy live music and have never had any problems (or even had to provide proof of why) requesting a seat at standing only concerts. If you let them know more details about why you require seating then hopefully they'll be able to seat you away from the standing crowd so you have more space - in the past I've been given seats right at the front, right at the back, in a box and on a balcony.

Molly

Edited by mysti

[Just go for it! Just take care with keeping an eye on him and just immerse yourselves in the 'collective' experience .Its good when we feel we can join in in a common collective energy and it is very empoweringg for asd'rs to feel a collective common experience,It will go a long way to helping desensitise against the usual sensitivities to noise,crowds and people,just stay with em.

I do mystery shopping for attitude is everything for stuff just like this! First - call the venue to see if they do the 2 for 1 scheme - means you only have to pay for 1 ticket. Then - ask to be seated in the disabled area - big venues tend to have them and ask to be seated. Al you need is to prove the disability which means either a dla award letter or dx letter. Venues tend to be very helpful with this kind of thing :)

Also may be worth taking earplugs - I wear ones that are noise reduction ones which means i still hear the music but it cuts out the other stuff and makes the noise levels more manageable :)

hope this helps!