Sign in to follow this  
hick76

Hi,

My names Emma. I have 3 Children one of who is just started the long process of getting a diagnosis for Autism. She is usually a loving Child but her temper tantrums and dangerous behaviour have started to overtake the whole family. She is six there has always been telltale signs such as eyecontact but we have just put it down to Isabellas way. The anger is getting worse and we are at crisis point any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks emma xx

Hi Hick 76 -

What are you doing at the moment? What reward/sanction strategies do you have in place and how does your daughter 'interpret' them (i.e. do you use star charts or other visual/tactile reinforcers. When you say 'dangerous behaviour' do you mean she is unknowingly enacting dangers that put her at risk, or do you mean she is behaving violently/aggressively towards others and/or knowingly enacting behaviours dangerous to herself either as controlling or attention seeking strategies? If the latter two, what are you doing to ensure that she is consistently and appropriately sanctioned (by 'appropriately' I mean that sanctions have to be something significant to her to work) for violence and aggression and to ensure that controlling or attention-seeking behaviours aren't rewarded with the control or attention being sought?

Think about those things, think about the 'triggers' that lead to the behaviours and think in very concrete terms about what individual and specific behaviours you want to address first (because you won't be able to address everything at once).

HTH

L&P

BD

Hi Hick 76 -

What are you doing at the moment? What reward/sanction strategies do you have in place and how does your daughter 'interpret' them (i.e. do you use star charts or other visual/tactile reinforcers. When you say 'dangerous behaviour' do you mean she is unknowingly enacting dangers that put her at risk, or do you mean she is behaving violently/aggressively towards others and/or knowingly enacting behaviours dangerous to herself either as controlling or attention seeking strategies? If the latter two, what are you doing to ensure that she is consistently and appropriately sanctioned (by 'appropriately' I mean that sanctions have to be something significant to her to work) for violence and aggression and to ensure that controlling or attention-seeking behaviours aren't rewarded with the control or attention being sought?

Think about those things, think about the 'triggers' that lead to the behaviours and think in very concrete terms about what individual and specific behaviours you want to address first (because you won't be able to address everything at once).

HTH

L&P

BD

Hi,

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. We always quietly and calmy tell isabella the consiquences of her actions as they are happening. As I said in my previous post her symptoms have worsened quite rapidly and the whole family is struggling. All consiquences are always followed through there is no middle ground or barganing. I will look into star charts (i used these when she was younger for potty training etc)Again thankyou any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Emma xx