Lucie1979

Update on my lil boy Xavier

We finally got his appointment through and went last week to the Child Development Centre.

At the end of the Hour long appointment said to me that Xavier without a doubt has Aspie traits. (Nice to have a little clarification from a professional) She doesnt want to chuck a diagnosis at him on her 1st meeting with him so wants us to come back in 6 months. He is also being referred for physio for his balance issues.

Now I dont really know what 6 months is going to change?! LOL

Also spoken to a Mum at the school who has an 18 yr old boy with AS. She asked me if they gave me any "what to do next" advice?! I said erm... no?!

She said that the going back to see her in 6 months was a bit strange and that it is actually CAHMS that makes a diagnosis NOT the lady at the Child Development Centre.?? IS this right? Im so new to all of this and am completely confused. Should I contact CAHMS myself? Do I meed to go through my GP? So far the referral to get a diagnosis has all gone through from the school and school nurse.

What should my next step be?

Can anyone help?

Thanks for listening to me waffle

Lucie xx

Hi Lucie,

The process seems to vary from area to area, so one person's experience need not necessarily be the same as another's. Diagnosis can be via a multidisciplinary team of professionals or it can be one person, such as a clinical psychologist or paediatrician. The individual has to be someone qualified to diagnose, and ideally experienced in ASD! What is the profession of the person who saw your son?

If you browse the forum you will be able to get an idea of the different routes to diagnosis others have had, and people may be along to post their experiences as well, so you can see if yours is typical.

K x

the Child Development Centre do diagnose and I think it's quite usual to have that happen, especially in younger children. My son was formally diagnosed by his paediatrician at the CDC following a week long multidisciplinary assessment (clinical psych, ed psych, OT, Physio, SALT and 3 hour per day over 4 days in their developmental nursery). That was 7 months or so after our initial contact and during those months he saw physio/salt/OT regularly.

6 months can actually make a difference in diagnosis especially when kids are younger as often younger NT children display asd traits so it's not uncommon as far as I'm aware to take time diagnosing - especially at the higher functioning end of the scale.

Lynne

Edited by Lynden

Hi Lucie, how old is your little boy? What are his Aspie traits? Really interested in following your journey as Im thinking my 6 year old son may have aspergers and we're getting no where in terms of getting him assessed :(