Sign in to follow this  
Tally

The very worst news

My brother has been knocked off his bike and killed on saturday night. We have only just heard from the police this morning. It doesn't seem real.

Deepest sympathies ............

Tally, there is nothing to say, other than my deepest sympathies and my thoughts are with you and all your family.

I remember when my brother died, the poor policeman who came to tell my mum had to sit there and tell each one of us as we walked through the door and told him we didn't believe him - there is nothing that can lessen the shock and grief, but time does eventually help.

{{{{hugs}}}} to you and all your family.

Tally, this is awful, dreadful news, I am so sorry for your loss and that of your families.My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time , take care and know how many of us on this forum are thinking of you, love suzexxx

I have spent most of the day with my grandparents at my parents' house. My aunt and uncle are with them now and I have come home for some sleep. The telephone has not stopped ringing.

My parents have met with the hospital and the police and they are going to phone us in the morning. They are in a terrible state.

Today I have had to make a number of phone calls to tell people the news. His girlfriend has compiled a list of email addresses of people from his uni, work and rowing club, and I have sent out a mass email this evening and already received a number of replies.

My grandparents were already staying at my parents' house to look after the cat, and my aunt and uncle came yesterday. Today my cousin and my uncle also arrived. Tomorrow my aunt, uncle and cousin are coming to see me. I am hoping my mum and dad will be home soon though.

Thank you so much for your kindness. I have had so many lovely messages here and from friends of my brother. I feel very strongly that there is no way we could not be OK with all the support we have received.

I cannot reply to the PMs, but I am very grateful for them.

The embassy are arranging for my brother's body to be flown home. We need a funeral place that can receive the body from America and then the booking can be made. My dad's friend is choosing a funeral place this morning and I know he is the right person to make a good choice. It is night time in America at the moment, but by morning they will have all they need to make the booking. We were told he had to be brought home in a sealed coffin, but now they are saying I will be able to see him. I do want to because I need to know this is real.

My parents are theoretically free to travel home now, but they won't leave America without him. Much as I really want to see them, I want them to do this also. They will probably arrive home on Thursday.

Tally, I think you family must be so, so proud of how you are dealing with things in this country while your parents are in America.

Bidx

Edited by bid

My mum is on her way to the airport right now. I am going to meet her at the airport tomorrow afternoon.

I was worried about my dad staying on his own, but I think he has been trying to hold it together and support my mum, and really needs some time to himself now, knowing my mum is being looked after by the rest of the family at home. I did ask him about it and I know he's OK about it now. He has told me to phone him twice a day, and I have to wake up quite early to catch him before he goes to bed.

Tally >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> So so sorry for this tragic news, I have only read it and in total shock, I have read the article and you must be very proud of his ambition and goals he has set in his life, all those miles he cycled, truely inspiring.

Your stregnth and courage shines in your posts Tally to have to cope with such a tragic loss but your dealing with this head on and obously you have some of your brothers qualities, it will be very hard for the next year but you know we are all here.

Really Tally, truely sorry this has happened.

JsMumxxx

My mum got home safely yesterday. They looked after her really well on the plane and helped her with all her bags because she had all David's things as well.

My brother's body is being transported home and will arrive in the UK on Thursday. I am going to be able to see him. My mum says he looks very peaceful.

And my dad will be home on Friday morning. I can't wait to have him back home now.

I went to work because I am sick of just sitting here staring at the walls. We can't read or anything like that so the time passes so slowly. And part of the sleeping/eating problem is that we are not doing anything to tire ourselves out or make ourselves hungry. So I thought it would do me good to go to work. In some ways it did, but in others it wasn't good. Some people weren't very nice. One person completely blanked me all night and did not speak to me at all. The mad woman ignored me for a bit and then came and told me she was in a bad mood because she's had a stressful week and then told me all about her stressful week, which I really couldn't give a toss about. I expected some awkwardness because people don't know what to say, but I didn't think people would be actually unpleasant.

And I had to see the place I was when I got the news. I didn't realise that would be hard, but it was.

I think you are so incredibly strong and brave over how you have handled all of this. Just ignore the idiots as work, as hard as that might be - keep in mind there are people who care a lot about you(this place most definitely included) xxxx