KKaren

Arapiprazole

Hi My son 13 has just started taking Arapiprazole 2.5mg - he has very bad anxiety and just won't do anything which makes him nervous - this can include going to school staying with granny simple things. has anyone had any success with this med for reducing anxiety??

hi karen- my 13 yr old had this prescribed-1ml daily -but had to comeoff it due to muscle jerks . he is now on risperdal, but has just had this reduced from 1ml to 0.25ml daily for the same reason . he ,too, is extremely anxious, but the muscle jerks have made him even more so! i too would like some thoughts on medication from any others here who have been in similar situation

Thanks Sky - Matt was on Risperdal first .25mls then up to 5mls - his anxiety didn't go it seemed to make it worse - he also put on some weight not as much as some kids have had, although not having any effect on his anxiety I decided to take him off it. He takes 150mg Lustral this is to help with his OCD which is mostly complusive thoughts and therefore creates anxiety - a nightmare circle really - I think if we could get something to ease the anxiety (miracle drug!!) it would help him become more independent he can't do anything without me or his dad present this includes things like going to other childrens birthday parties.. He also would become quite aggressive and have tantrums frequently especially if we try to make him do things he is not comfortable with. Did you find any relief with the Arapiprazole from anxiety?

hi karen-not really- as joes anxiety is worse at school and theysaw no difference.joe also gets aggressive due to his anxiety-as i said,at school, and in outdoor situations where there are lots of people,noise,etc.took him to emergency doctor at camhs when his jerks got really bad -hence reduction in risperdal . doc said he needs lots of physical activity -which i can agree with -but parks etc are no good as there are obviously other children(vulnerableones too)which stresses him out.did you find the anxiety got worse with onset of puberty?

Hi Sky

not sure if you got my last reply? I was just saying Matt has got a bit more aggressive as he has got older and also found it really difficult in secondary school - huge difference to primary - going into year 10 in September and good classroom assistance set in place for him to make him feel more secure. Hes doing okay on the arapiprazole one week on and no tantrums so fingers crossed - I have notice a rise in appetite and am hoping he doesn't start to gain too much weight. K

Hi Sky

not sure if you got my last reply? I was just saying Matt has got a bit more aggressive as he has got older and also found it really difficult in secondary school - huge difference to primary - going into year 10 in September and good classroom assistance set in place for him to make him feel more secure. Hes doing okay on the arapiprazole one week on and no tantrums so fingers crossed - I have notice a rise in appetite and am hoping he doesn't start to gain too much weight. K

hi kkaren-dont think i did get last reply-hopefully arapiprazole will be a success for your matt .medications are a worry tho due to the side effects-i think my joe must be susceptible as this is the second med that has caused jerks- even on a small dose.still on 0.25ml at the moment and jerks have stopped-remains to be seen whether anxiety will be alleviated on the smaller dose .J

Hi My son 13 has just started taking Arapiprazole 2.5mg - he has very bad anxiety and just won't do anything which makes him nervous - this can include going to school staying with granny simple things. has anyone had any success with this med for reducing anxiety??

hi my son was prescibed this last year, as the side effects of his Rispiridone, were horrible,but i found that the Aripiprizole, made him even more anxious, and he was even unable to go upstairs unaided. We changed back to the Rispiridone, but as his eating became uncontrollable, I opted to try Sertraline. This has been quite successful, and he contiues on 50mgs daily.

Hi Sarah

My son is on Lustral 150mg which is the same as sertraline and also the Aripiprizole - the sertraline I found myself is very good took a lot of worries away but his dose had to be upped I'm hoping 150mg will be the last - wondering if the Aripiprizole isn't strong enough to be making any changes and if we put this one up the anxiety will increase as it did with Rispiridone - although finding now the tamtrums have stopped so thats a bonus! :)

K

i'v just been prescribed 5mg. not sure what to expect. main reason for the prescription was due to anger issues and extreme irratabilty.

hi there

I've found it helps Matt with his anger issues although hasn't made much impact for his anxiety. How are you getting on.?

it's only been 3 days so far. havent felt a difference yet, but as i understand it, 5mg is below the usual starting dose so maybe it is not strong enough.

feel very nauseous though and slept for 14 hours yesterday - i wonder if i should take it at night instead? any hints?

not tired so much now but still nauseous. v. anxious too, which i have not been before.

Hi Kat

Matt is only on .25mg and I have found it is helping him (I think) its taken a while a few months but he is not just as aggressive and has been able to go back to his football which he withdrew from so quite positive so far - I give him it just before bedtime as it does make you tired. I found with the other med respirdol once I increased the dose he became much more anxious than normal so I'm hoping to keep him at a very low dose and keep encouraging him to do more things - we will see what happens when he goes back to school as it is always a challenge. He did not experience any nauseous - try taking it at bedtime. He is also on lustral and I have been able to reduce the 150mg down to 100mg - this also helps with anxiety.

K