hayleyk

Depression and Anxiety in ASD Research

There is currently a high incidence of depression and anxiety in autism spectrum disorders (ASD), however there is much that we don’t know about risk factors and protective factors for depression and anxiety.

I am a masters student currently conducting a study investigating depression and anxiety in ASD.

We are looking for volunteers (aged 18-40yrs) with high-functioning autism or Aspergers to participate.

Participation involves completing an online questionnaire that involves short questions about depression, anxiety, childhood experiences of bullying, temperament, social problem solving, social competence and social support. The questionnaire will take about 30-60 minutes to complete and can be done in your own time.

For more information follow the link to the participant information and survey:

https://www.psychdata.com/s.asp?SID=142243

or email Hayley Kennedy at: harhoo001@myacu.edu.au

Hi again,

I just wanted to add, you do not have to have depression or anxiety to participate in this study.

We are interested in the experience of people who do not have depression or anxiety as well as the experience of those who do.

Cheers,

Hayley

my dad still finding it annoying makes him frustrated /angry i have depression as sees it as 'excuse' i use and that feel sorry for myself when you have depression you're stuck trapped and feel SO ALONE i've tried reasonably explaining how it is for me my reality but feel he blocks any possible reason for this situation he even tries blocking A.S too lot he can't get his around 'me' he can't bear being around me just lately and i'm struggling to cope/manage everyday with 'dark' thoughts/feelings just so fed up as feel like my trying isn't enough can't give anymore he says i'm always miserable but i feel try my hardest to fight off depression but such hard fight to keep on top of right now can't get balance right i'm scared where does this leave me???

feel like no one wants to know i'm not sleeping well at all tossing and turning and don't feel like eating ... all too much ... now this .... i try asking him outright but causes arguement confusion over what he means coversation as wires crossed mum has help de code and feels we never reach point of true success balance stability of understanding he thinks i'm craving sympathy all time but this is not true or case ... but he won't have it any other way! i got no psychologist right now as NAS looking for another to replace old one just left few weeks ago moved so makes it worse feel such let down failure comments like this he doesn't realise feeds into depression self esteem which low just great! overwhelmed drained .... nothing more to say or give tried ringing care manager as she only just come back from being on long term sick but she wasn't in today need speak someone anyone no one available so home alone again nothing different there then....

he thinks comments such as these will help me feel better in myself WRONG!

you know what? probably bad advice, but it sounds like you need to get tarted up, have a few stiff drinks and have fun with the girls. forget what you look like and for once be kind to yourself. then when you,ve done all that, get focused on something, like a career goal, or a new hobby (not fittness related though). and maybe join a club. failing all of that, get the doc to prescribe you something. depression is a ######, but dont let it get the best of you.

Hello SmileyK

Just wondered if you have considered speaking to MIND. They can offer young people one to one support and possibly counselling. They were great with my daughter when she was going through bad depression.

Its such a shame your dad is trying to block this out instead of helping you. Sometimes people cannot cope with depression because they dont know how to deal with it and it scares them.

just want to add, the fact that you dont eat much, means your mood is going to be greatley affected. lack of micronutrients, macronutrients and essential fats could be a huge factor in your depression. also lack of food causes your metobolic rate to plumet right down preventing any further fat loss. talk to a nutritionist, and get a proper foundation down for your daily caloric intake, you still need to eat enough to fuel your workouts, otherwise your running on empty. with your metobolic rate low your body will cling onto fat stores and start to eventully canobolise your lean tissue this = even lower metobolic rate, this = depression, this = self hate and body dismorphia, this = anorexia/bulimia this = death. stop this snowballing effect you have going on and start taking charge of your own mind, you start by taking pepoles advice and get in touch with the right pepole. yes, this is off topic, but links in with all your problems above.

Go to the hospital and ask to see the duty social worker they have a way of moving things on very quickly tell them how bad you feel and that you are not receiving

any help. sometimes you need to kick up a bit of fuss to get people to listern, it can take months to get a referral to another psychologist. don't telephone always go in person then they have to deal with you. write down what you need to say to them it makes it easier.. it can annoy a doctor when you go behind there backs but if you feel so bad i would do it. peace of mind is worth stepping on a few toes to get.

Sorry your not getting the support you need, its hard for people to show any empathy when your normal on the outside. dads can sometimes be a bit remote at times think its a fear of showing their true emotions and he many feel powerless because he is unable to help you, so don't be to hard on him he's just being a bloke its genetic and not his fault.

I was taking antidepressants for years i started with prozac and finished with lithium, i don't know if they helped at all they could have been a placebo for all i know. the self medicating with alcohol was ok for a few years it made me sociable enough to make a few friends. but waking up the next day still feeling depressed with a hangover is a bad move, , so just find what works best for you, its not a life sentence honest.

A-S warrior - contact 'right people' as in who would that be??? umm... have no kind of emotional support right now available .... no pyschologist scared pluck up courage book meeting with care manager/ (mental health nurse) what's really going on in my life right now what i struggling with manage /cope deal with ....