Mumble

Blacklisted IP address

Help! I need to send an email to someone in a particular company, emailed them lots, they're expecting email from me, but each time I send it to either contact I have, I get a failure notice saying my IP has been blacklisted and the email undelivered.

What does this mean and what can I do about it?

I think IP means Internet Provider, but I don't have one of them (like AOL, BT, whatever...) that home users have because I'm in student halls where we have wi-fi access provided by the uni. Would this mean all the students have the same IP and so someone else might have done something naughty which has resulted in a blanket blacklisting? :unsure:

Is there anyway round this even just to let the people know that I'm having email probs? :tearful:

Help! I need to send an email to someone in a particular company, emailed them lots, they're expecting email from me, but each time I send it to either contact I have, I get a failure notice saying my IP has been blacklisted and the email undelivered.

What does this mean and what can I do about it?

I think IP means Internet Provider, but I don't have one of them (like AOL, BT, whatever...) that home users have because I'm in student halls where we have wi-fi access provided by the uni. Would this mean all the students have the same IP and so someone else might have done something naughty which has resulted in a blanket blacklisting? :unsure:

Is there anyway round this even just to let the people know that I'm having email probs? :tearful:

Hi mumble - the only one I can think of is to get someone you trust outside of college to send the e-mail for you by forwarding it on. If it's very personal, and that makes you nervous then they could at least send an e-mail explaining why you haven't e-mailed, iyswim. Other options - you could try your local library's PC's or an internet cafe or something like that(?)

HTH

L&P

BD

Blacklists are to stop people sending spam I think - it's to do with whether your DNS number is blacklisted (usually for spam). Talk to whoever manages the wifi as they'll need to sort it - sorry can't help more :)

Thanks both,

That's a good idea - I'll ask my sister to send an email just explaining the problem. :thumbs:

Would I have the same problem if I went into college and used a different computer?

I can send emails to others without issue, it's just this company that the problem is with. Is it something they would have to sort at their end or something to be fixed at my end? :unsure:

Blacklists are to stop people sending spam I think - it's to do with whether your DNS number is blacklisted (usually for spam). Talk to whoever manages the wifi as they'll need to sort it - sorry can't help more :)

Okay, feeling a little silly but, what's a DNS and how do I find who manages the wi-fi? :unsure:

Hmmm, if its just to that one company they could have accidently blocked you. DNS is the domain name thingy that tells the internet everythin it need to know about how and where and all that stuff ;) You might have the same problem with someone else's pc if it's all using the same DNS thingy but I don't know to be honest - worth a go though - if not I haven't got a clue who would be in charge of the wifi, but if all else fails find a secretary of head of something and ask them. Sorry can't help more :)

Another PC on campus might work - or if the school/student ones are on different routers/servers you may be able to send it from one of the staff office PC's. All depends whether there's more than one IP address...

L&P

BD

PS: Just thought you have a laptop... walk to a cafe/pub that offers 'free wifi', connect to their network and send it from there! :thumbs:

Edited by baddad

PS: Just thought you have a laptop... walk to a cafe/pub that offers 'free wifi', connect to their network and send it from there! :thumbs:

And a simpler one to begin with :D

here's a link from your favourite site

Ze link

D'oh - why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: And I'm right in thinking that it would only be polite if I was making use of the cafe's free wifi that I purchase and consume a large double choc muffin whilst I'm there, yes? :eat1::whistle:

D'oh - why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: And I'm right in thinking that it would only be polite if I was making use of the cafe's free wifi that I purchase and consume a large double choc muffin whilst I'm there, yes? :eat1::whistle:

Sounds like a plan to me :thumbs:

seems only fair... :whistle:

Hi Everyone

Normally when you send an email it is first sent to your ISPs (Internet Service Provider) server such at BT Openworld or Wanadoo etc.

This mail server receives your email and then sends it to the recepient.

It is therefore the ISP mail server IP Address (note not DNS) which has been blacklisted and not your computers IP address.

Sending it from your computer using a different wireless connection or indeed using your account on a different PC will not make any difference.

You need to contact your ISP who hosts your email as they are responsible for getting their server taken off the blacklist and by the way often they will not do this.

I hope this helps

Regards

Lufty

My bad ;) sorry mumble - I don't know why I even mentioned DNS here at all!!

I think I must have it on the brain cuz that's what my IT problem is :rolleyes:

oh the inter-weavings of life and confusion it causes (its all these damn letters assigned for everything) :D

Hope you get your problem fixed!!

I'm gonna be dreaming about DNS at this rate :lol:

You need to contact your ISP who hosts your email as they are responsible for getting their server taken off the blacklist and by the way often they will not do this.

Thanks Lufty - though I wish I totally understood this. :tearful: It's my Yahoo email that won't send to any email addresses belonging to this one company (sends to everyone else fine), and I can send to this company from my Google or college email accounts (but I don't want to use these for this as I try to keep things separate).

How do I find out who my ISP who hosts my email is? I use uni wifi in student halls so don't pay anyone for a separate internet connection.

Thanks Lufty - though I wish I totally understood this. :tearful: It's my Yahoo email that won't send to any email addresses belonging to this one company (sends to everyone else fine), and I can send to this company from my Google or college email accounts (but I don't want to use these for this as I try to keep things separate).

How do I find out who my ISP who hosts my email is? I use uni wifi in student halls so don't pay anyone for a separate internet connection.

Hi Mumble

In your case it is the Yahoo email server which is being blacklisted.

You need to contact Yahoo and good luck getting a response from them !!!

Regards

Lufty

You need to contact Yahoo and good luck getting a response from them !!!

Thanks, I shall try that. I'll summon up all my powers of persuasion! :fight::star:

Okay, I give up. :tearful:

Why would some of my emails get through to this company and not others (even to the same person, that's what I don't get). And they get randomally blocked whichever email account I use.

I tried to get un-blacklisted and got a response saying I was already un-blacklisted. Which just doesn't make sense because clearly I'm not... Also the failure notices have different IP addresses for me - HOW??????? :unsure::huh:

Okay, I give up. :tearful:

Why would some of my emails get through to this company and not others (even to the same person, that's what I don't get). And they get randomally blocked whichever email account I use.

I tried to get un-blacklisted and got a response saying I was already un-blacklisted. Which just doesn't make sense because clearly I'm not... Also the failure notices have different IP addresses for me - HOW??????? :unsure::huh:

The different IP addresses will probably be because you don't have a static IP address: every time you connect to the internet you will be given an IP address for that session.

Just a thought: have you tried creating a totally new email address and using that to email them? Worth a shot!

Also the failure notices have different IP addresses for me - HOW??????? :unsure::huh:

My internet provider uses different IP addresses whenever I connect to the internet maybe it's the same reason? Have you managed to sort this out now?

Have you managed to sort this out now?

Nope! But as it's only to one place and no problems anywhere else I've told them to sort it! It's more of a problem to them not me if they can't communicate with me, so I'm leaving it to them to sort. :)