Tally

God help us all, I am in charge!!!

I am pleased to announce, I HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS!!!

I am the secretary for the new Mensa Autism Special Interest Group :thumbs:

I don't know if they had any other applicants, they must have been complete gumbies if they picked me.

This mainly means editing the newsletter, but if I want I can get more involved with things like running an online community or organising meet-ups.

Also I start my new (old) job back at the dry cleaners on 5th September. I left because the travelling was getting a bit much, but I am moving back to the village where my parents live, and where the dry cleaners lives, so that won't be an issue once I move.

So no more mad woman then? :lol:

:thumbs:

(Did you hear about the woman who was the only entrant in a WI cake making class? She only got 2nd prize - at least you won, even if you were the only applicant! :whistle: )

You clever old sossidge! Well done you :thumbs::thumbs::notworthy:

I'm a leading light in mensa's polar opposite, Densa. Weave beean editting isshew 1 of thee noosletter for thee parst three yeres now, but weave still nott maid it too print!

L&P

BD :D

Hi Tally

That is good news - in both cases!

I didn't know Mensa had an Autism SIG. I used to belong to Mensa many years ago.

I didn't know Mensa had an Autism SIG. I used to belong to Mensa many years ago.

It didn't, but it does now!

Would you like to re-join and send me something for the first newsletter that I have to put together?

Would you like to re-join and send me something for the first newsletter that I have to put together?

Ha, dropped yourself in it there, Mandapanda! :P:lol:

Great news Tally, it sounds like things are settling down for you which you probably need right now. :)>:D<<'>

Yes, I will resign this coming week. I have to give 4 weeks' notice so I don't have to do it today or anything. I just need to decide whether to go back to my current job at all, and if not, how to persuade them to let me do this. I saw the out of hours doctor today and they recommended 2 weeks off work, but they can't issue a sick note themselves so they said go to my GP on Monday and he will write me one. Sick leave can't count toward your notice period but my dad has told them today that I am going to be signed off so they do know.

Realistically they can't do anything other than withhold a reference if I don't work out my notice period, and my boss at the dry cleaners doesn't need one because I already worked for him. But it's always best to leave on good terms if at all possible, but I may have blown that already anyway.

I signed up for that SIG actually and saw they were looking for a secretary - now I'll sort of know who it is :D

Lynne x

Yes, I will resign this coming week. I have to give 4 weeks' notice so I don't have to do it today or anything. I just need to decide whether to go back to my current job at all, and if not, how to persuade them to let me do this. I saw the out of hours doctor today and they recommended 2 weeks off work, but they can't issue a sick note themselves so they said go to my GP on Monday and he will write me one. Sick leave can't count toward your notice period but my dad has told them today that I am going to be signed off so they do know.

Realistically they can't do anything other than withhold a reference if I don't work out my notice period, and my boss at the dry cleaners doesn't need one because I already worked for him. But it's always best to leave on good terms if at all possible, but I may have blown that already anyway.

Hi.

I think in your situation it would be a very poor employer that decided to be difficult especially when you have been signed off sick.

I hope you can give yourself some breathing space while you are off. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I know it is a bit of a shock when you realise you have signed up to do something new.I have taken on one or two things myself in the last few months and then wondered what mad impulse had taken over. :lol:

Karen.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

I have decided not to return to work until I start my new job. It's not like I will be twiddling my thumbs. I have 2 short holidays planned and I can take walks and go swimming. I'd also like to spend some time with my grandparents and maybe take them on a day out.

I also have to write a letter to the SIG members, introducing myself and begging for submissions for the first newsletter. You can get a head start with your article Lynne :whistle:

After my zoo course last week I've decided to try clicker training my cat, which could be an interesting experiment. I am going to try it out on my mum first!

What do you want to clicker train your cat to do? :unsure: They can be very obstinate when it comes to certain things...

Having said that, I did teach one of mine a number of tricks (this way years ago now and he's long gone) he used to do anything I wanted and could play fetch and catch and throw the thing he fetched (amongst other things ;)) but the one I have now won't do much at all unless he wants to or unless I have catnip :D (and even with catnip there's a limit as to how much he'll do, he looks at me and his face says "it just aint worth it mate" :lol:

I haven't decided what to train my cat to do. I might just train her to do tricks. One of the big problems I have with her is that she bores easily and becomes aggressive and destructive, and overeats. So just something to keep her busy for a few minutes every day would be good.

Mine loves it when its xmas and he can play in the wrapping paper, and he loves chasing a screwed up piece of paper ;)

If she does do any tricks let us know in the spirit of interest :thumbs: and good luck :)

It didn't, but it does now!

Not sure they'd have me now :lol:

Not sure they'd have me now :lol:

They will - if you've been a member previously you just need to call them up. No tests to resit or anything like that. I know, because hubby and I did it this year after not being members for a good few years.

Lynne

I once sent off for information about joining Mensa, but was put right off because of Jimmy Saville being a member. Aughie-aughie-augh!

Well I'm pleased to say that I have received two articles for the first newsletter, both from people who may become regular contributors :thumbs:

I've also had a number of letters from members telling me they also have Asperger's. It's a bit like "I'm Spartacus."

So, along with an article I'm trying to write myself, I think I can get a newsletter together by the end of the month :)

I have finally submitted the newsletter, it will be going out soon :)

I've had some really lovely letters from other adults with ASD.

Just one person is really doing my head in with incessant emails. She's given me a nice long list of things she wants me to do really quickly. :wallbash:

I've just submitted issue 2.

It's a bit longer this time as well, so people must be getting inspired to contribute :)

I once sent off for information about joining Mensa, but was put right off because of Jimmy Saville being a member. Aughie-aughie-augh!

Um, I guess I don't have that excuse any more. :unsure:

I look forward to it - issue 1 was fab. I will try and do something for you at some point - not sure it'll be any good though haha.

I'm glad you liked Issue 1 Lynden. Because it was the first issue, I didn't receive many contributions and had to write a lot of it myself. I'm pleased to say that seeing Issue 1 seems to have stimulated a lot more people into contributing and I've written less myself and still managed to piece together a longer magazine this time.

There is a rather controversial article in this one from a man who says he has cured himself from autism, and believes other autistic people should do likewise. If nothing else, it should at least stir up some debate for the next issue! I was really pleased when someone else sent me a slightly amusing take on the opposite opinion, so at least it is more balanced.

I'd love a contribution from you if you get chance Lynden. I do feel it's a bit too weighted toward adults with Asperger's at the moment and would love to include more from different perspectives on ASD. Contributions are not supposed to be professional journalism quality and I can always polish them up a bit.