Sign in to follow this  
A and A

general anaesthetic in asd children

Hi all we are parents to a non speaking 4 year old boy who has autism and severe global developmental delay he is due to go to hospital in day surgery to have a tooth taken out and this is his first general anaesthetic and I am really worried about him and hate the thought of watching them put out little man to sleep have any other parents been through the same kind of situation.

A and A (Anna)

My son, who has AS, ADHD and Dyspraxia had a GA when he had to have an MRI scan when he was 6 to see if he had a tumour on his spine or brain. More recently, in June, my NT daughter had complex major surgery on her hand that had been left disabled after a car accident.

It is hard to see them drift off to sleep, but the nursing and surgical team are always lovely and will let you stay with him until he is asleep. The main thing is to keep your tears for afterwards, so that you are as reassuring as possible for your son. Both mine were allowed to take a favourite cuddly toy into the anaesthetic room with them too.

Good luck,

Bid >:D<<'>

Edited by bid

Hi.

I was not in exactly the same situation but may still be able to help.

Ben has a diagnosis of AS now.

When he was in reception at primary school before we knew he had AS he put a dry popcorn kernel in his ear.

He became really agitated when A and E and ENT doctor attempted to get it out.

He went in and had a GA as a day case in the end.

Exactly the same type of procedure as tooth extraction.

He was a bit drunk and stroppy when he first woke up.

He did not like having to fast in the morning either.

But it was not too bad really.

Worse for us than him. :(

Less stressful than two broken arms since.

It would be worth talking to the team ahead of time to see if they have ideas you could use to help prepare.

Paeds teams are usually excellent especially if they know a child has ASD.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

hi there I took Liam to the day surgery unit yesterday and we met the staff and spent time on the ward and discussed any worries that I had and Liam was given an oxygen mask as a visual prompt for when he goes to the unit, they were really friendly and helpful with both of us, not sure on how to do a social story sorry if that sounds stupid as head is swimming at the moment and confused about many things. Anna A and A

hi there I took Liam to the day surgery unit yesterday and we met the staff and spent time on the ward and discussed any worries that I had and Liam was given an oxygen mask as a visual prompt for when he goes to the unit, they were really friendly and helpful with both of us, not sure on how to do a social story sorry if that sounds stupid as head is swimming at the moment and confused about many things. Anna A and A

When is it ?

I will try and do some research today if I get a few minutes and see if I can can find one.There will be one either on the web or as a book that you could adapt if needed. :)

Karen.

hi there Liam goes in on the 25th of august all help very much appreciated

Anna

Hi.

I am fighting with two teenagers for the PC today but here is one for a start. :lol:

I found it on a blogg but pressume the person intended it to be used to help others.

http://www.extremeparenthood.com/2009/08/preparing-autistic-child-for.html

Carol Gray includes some templates in her books if you have some money to spend. :)

Karen.

Hi, good luck for the 25 th, but I,m sure everything will be fine.My daughter has had 5 GA,s the first as a baby and at numerous times since.The surgical staff are brill with kids and their worried parents.Ask if you can have the 1st slot in the morning.So there is no waiting around.They,ll probably let you carry him or he can walk to the theatre.Before he goes in they will lie him on a bed and you can read his fave story and he,ll be fast asleep before you can count to 7 ....my daughter never gets past this number and is slurring at 5 lol.Leave his fave toys at his side and they,ll put them there to see when he wakes up.Make sure any pain relief is kept on top of and he,ll probably be grumpy and tetchy when he comes round so a fave dvd on the hosp one , or on your own puter will help.Good luck xx

Hi thanks for that Liam has to be on the ward for 9am and he has visited the ward already and we have been told to take any fave toys and blankets that he has so he has familiar things around him from home so iggle piggle and makka pakka are coming as well and they have their hospital id bands on their wrists already .

Anna

Id get them to make sure they take the needle out of his arm before he awakes. I remember my son at 7 waking up from a GA and being hysterical and determined to pull it out. He had another GA around 15 yrs old and the same happened when I stupidly forgot to tell them to take it out. He may be fine, but just to warn you if he is one that doesnt understand

Id get them to make sure they take the needle out of his arm before he awakes. I remember my son at 7 waking up from a GA and being hysterical and determined to pull it out. He had another GA around 15 yrs old and the same happened when I stupidly forgot to tell them to take it out. He may be fine, but just to warn you if he is one that doesnt understand

hi there yes Liam doesn't understand what is going on which not sure if that is a good or bad thing bless him, we will make sure that the venflon is removed hubby and I have also agreed that if we feel Liam is not well enough to go home they we want him admitted to hospital for a night as its difficult as he never shows any signs of being in pain and as he doesn't talk we are kind of in the dark with that one as well thanks for the advice xx

Anna