Sign in to follow this  
brainfizz

Aspergers and Personality Disorder

Has anyone been in the situation where they are waiting for a psychiatric assessment and the two possible diagnosis's are Aspergers or Personality Disorder, it's so hard to work out which is more likely and it seems impossible that the doctors would even know the difference between Avoidant Personality Disorder and Aspergers.

Any experiences or advise for this?

Thanks

That's interesting, they told me you can't have both and it's one or the other, I shall ask about it again on Thursday. Have you for Aspergers?

you can have both, but i still disagree with mine.

i have autism diagnoed age 14

i have bpd diagnoed age 19

but were told its not common but i feel that they dont know what i am with my mental health problems.

Edited by Special_talent123

but were told its not common but i feel that they dont know what i am with my mental health problems.

I have Asperger's, but unfortunately being bullied at school was the least of my problems given that my dad was a selfish obnoxious sociopath with a drinking problem, so childhood was excessively unpleasant. As a result I'm quite sure I have BPD too, even though the two seem contradictory.

Some people with a dx of BPD have been misdiagnosed and actually have Post Truamatic Stress Disorder and Aspergers Syndrome.

JsMumx

Just seems a bit too common for mental health services to be doleing out diagnosis for autisim/asd/aspergers when most of them hav'nt a clue,except with younger people.the DSM diagnostic bible gets in the way because inexperienced/badly trained staff are nearly always predisposed to refeeriing to a mental health diagnosis,and they are nor helped at all that the mental symptoms can be easily misinterpretted as various 'personality disorders'.

I was misdiagnosed as CPTSD in 2000.I thoroughly disagreed with the diagnosis and ended up leaving my missus and kids because they clung to the misdiagnosis and completly ignored my perceptual problems,like time,calenders,days of the week.When my family started putting my odd diet and clothing/bathing/hearing/sleeping problems down to 'thats cos you've got CPTSD' it was the final straw,so I dumped them.

A few months ago I was at a church group (nice people) when a woman did a talk on 'how god has changed my life etc' talk.She explained that through her faith she had been able to 'manage' her 'bipolar' personality disorder.After a short while my alarm bells were ringing when she descibed what many would intepret as 'classic' aspergers symptoms,which is a bit broad I know ,but it was chillingly clear.....So for this person a prescription of heavy drugs and her religous faith had really helped her but while she was doing her talk I was watching her boby languauge and it was really clear she was reacting to all the background noises and not realising it.

a year after being diagnosed (I'm 48) and having the grace of much hindsight I would urge anyone to be very wary about diagnosis from the mental health service,ask them how much experience/proffesional competence they have with ASD's,usually you'll find they are mainly concerned with 'mental health' and preoccuppied with prescribing drugs for symptoms.

The problem is that the mental health service are obbsessed with secondary problems and don't have the time or money to make proper assesments and are nearly always subconciously prejudiced to diagnose/divine using 'mental health' criteria such as 'personality disorders'.

if you are an adult with 'higher' functioning asd you very probably know a lot more about it.After all ask yourself,what is the success rate or cure rate for the mental health service,very probably virtually nil.If the mental health model/institutions were a private company they would be closed down like a quack therapist.

Personality disorder is an intellectual construct/abstract.the very phrase 'personality disorder' is an assault on the individual and the DSM model is far from proven or based on rational independant research.Without the DSM 'bible' most of the psyhciatric establishment would be unemployed and the drug companies wopuld be much poorer.Its about contolling your behaviour through drugs not real world assistance/treatment/self understanding.

Try reiki,bhuddism,meditation,crystals,at least they have been around thousands of years.

Edited by philipo