lilnicki

Hello, and a little advice please.....

Hello,

I have just signed up. I'm a 38 year old lady who discovered about a year ago what Aspergers is and that likely i have it. I've done some of the online tests and usually score around 40-45 / 50. I had a date through for my assessment at the end of September, but i have a few worries about it. I have looked at the DSM (?) guidlines, and from that it does look like i have Aspergers, the only possible sticking point is i can manage eye contact, though it's not something i am comfortable with. I guess my main fear is that i go in there and they tell me i don't have it...... is this likely at all seeing that" on paper" I DO have it??

There are lots of other things i need advice about, but will post those on the advice pages.

Looking forward to hearing from others in the same boat.

Lilnicki

I am going to be assessed by my local health authority ( Plymouth). Do they normally give you a questionaire to do??..... or just ask questions?...... how are you with eye contact??

Nicki

Hi Nicki, and welcome to the forum.

Difficulty with eye contact is just one symptom, but it shouldn't be a sticking point by itself. Most commonly, people with ASD have difficulty making eye contact, but some make excessive eye contact that makes other people uncomfortable. The fact that you find eye contact uncomfortable, even though you are able to do it, is relevant.

I hope your assessment will bring you some answers.

Hi Nicki, and welcome to the forum.

Difficulty with eye contact is just one symptom, but it shouldn't be a sticking point by itself. Most commonly, people with ASD have difficulty making eye contact, but some make excessive eye contact that makes other people uncomfortable. The fact that you find eye contact uncomfortable, even though you are able to do it, is relevant.

I hope your assessment will bring you some answers.

Thank you Tally....... i love the quote at the bottom of your page....... i HATE it when picture frames/mirrors are wonky!!

I think it's normal to doubt yourself. I've only recently been diagnosed and although I was certain enough to go to my GP and get a referral, a couple of weeks before my appointment I felt the same and began questioning whether I have Aspergers. Even after my diagnosis I had a bit of doubt until I started reading up on Aspergers at which point I became conviced that I definitely do have Asperger's Syndrome.

I wouldn't worry if you dont have all the symptoms, i consider myself to be fairly good at eye contact, but in most formal/work situations I tend to look over people's shoulders rather than at them, it is still uncomfortable for me, but has never been picked up by anyone other than the psychologist who noticed it straight away.

Good luck with your appointment, from my own point of view it has been a bit of a roller coaster ride, but in the end I feel better for it. I hope that whatever the outcome that you are happy with the results.

Edited by dazwan

There are typical symptoms but not everyone has all of them. I do not have a sensitivity to flickering lights, I don't think anymore than anyone else anyway. I do have a dislike of brightly lit rooms and prefer them a bit darker but I don't think that's the same.

If you read about someone with Aspergers and their issues, and you suddenly feel they are talking about you and your situtation, then you know you are likely to be Aspergers. I hate that questionnaire, by the way. Far too long and multiple choice questions.